We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

WiFi access on Savaii

geelong
Level Contributor
3 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
WiFi access on Savaii

My wife and I and our 3 children are visiting Samoa for the first time next month. We are spending 7 nights at Le Manumea resort near apia and then another 7 nights at the Savaiian Hotel after reading many good reviews on both on tripadvisor. I'm taking my laptop and know lavaspot provide a wireless hotspot service at different locations in apia including Le Manumea.

Are there any businesses or resorts that provide a wireless service on Savaii Island?. I have found Raci's Beach Club through google but they do not provide a wireless connection for laptops. I am hoping for a connection for internet banking transactions during our stay.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
24 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: WiFi access on Savaii

I've recently spent a couple of weeks on Savaii and used the dial-up at Raci's Beach Club. Real nice couple who own the place. That is as good as it gets and I was not able to find anything but dial-up anywhere else on Savaii. Actually, once you are outside of Apia I don't think you'll find anything but dial-up.

After having high speed broadband for so many years it sure is difficult to get used to anything else.

Edited: 21 May 2010, 01:14
Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
1,129 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: WiFi access on Savaii

Malo le soifua

You will be unlikely to find any broadband access at all outside of Apia, as the last poster said. Dial up is patchy at best on Savai'i, and the power regularly goes out too.

Regardless, I'm sure you will enjoy your holiday - it's a great place! Maybe leave the laptop at home this time :o)

Woolgoolga...
Destination Expert
for Apia, Samoa
Level Contributor
3,894 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: WiFi access on Savaii

Malo lava

You can get a USB modem from Digicel in Apia (next to Chan Mow Supermarket). It does cover some areas on Savaii but check with Digicel about the coverage. The modem itself is 99 tala which includes 50mb usage (big deal!!!) thereafter it's 50 tala for 50mb. I'm using one at the moment until broadband is connected at home, if all you want it for is for emails and internet banking then it's fine. 100mb is lasting me just under a week so it is becoming pricey.

As others have said, you will get nothing but dial-up outside of Apia. Some resorts let you use their computers for a fee, just check with reception.

Hope this helps. Have a wonderful holiday.

Manuia le aso (have a great day)

Deb

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
24 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: WiFi access on Savaii

I just want to comment further that you are going to love Samoa. We come here because it is less developed than many touristy places, which means, unspoiled, uncrowded and incredibly friendly. Regardless that it takes more than 13+ hours flight time for us. The coral reefs are spectacular for diving and snorkeling. The beaches are awesome. I think you'll find that the limited Internet access is a small price to pay for paradise.

Even the quiet parts of Hawaii are a 4 compared to a 10 out of 10 for a vacation in Samoa :o)

geelong
Level Contributor
3 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: WiFi access on Savaii

Thanks to all who have responded and for all the information. At least now I know what to expect and should be able to action what I need to while in Apia.

We've read so much about the natural beauty of Samoa and seen many wonderful pictures on the net. We're all looking forward to seeing and experiencing it for ourselves.

Woolgoolga...
Destination Expert
for Apia, Samoa
Level Contributor
3,894 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: WiFi access on Savaii

I'm sure you'll have a wonderful holiday. Take the time to really explore Samoa, get to know it's amazing people and it's very unique culture. Try and get off the beaten track so to speak.

Samoa is a truly beautiful country, you'll never want to leave.

Fa soifua

Deb

7. Re: WiFi access on Savaii

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 November 2010, 05:18