We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Survivor returning to Samoa in 2011?

nz
Destination Expert
for Norfolk Island, Noosaville, Rarotonga
Level Contributor
6,252 posts
275 reviews
Save Topic
Survivor returning to Samoa in 2011?

Have just read a review of Aggie Grey's Resort complaining that their booking has been cancelled due to Survivor returning. It looks as though it may be true according to this link.

realityblurred.com/realitytv/archives/surviv…

Survivor recently pulled out of Tonga due to lack of facilities being available so I guess they're going back to the familiar.

Interestingly, had been trying to arrange a booking at Coconuts and it's suddenly become booked out for the time I'm looking at.

Mentioned in this post
Tonga
Tonga
South Pacific
Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
1,129 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Survivor returning to Samoa in 2011?

Malo lava

Yes that's right, they'll be there from 16th May to 16th Sept this year. I only found out a few weeks ago. It's disappointing that Aggie's have accepted this production crew booking after the fallout last time.

I was hoping this time they wouldn't have taken any public bookings over that period ... but I assume there will be fallout once again. Already I think there is one wedding party that's chosen to relocate over to Savai'i.

We can only hope that people will still choose to visit Samoa, and choose to stay at some of the other lovely resorts and accommodations available.

Fa soifua

Tina

New Zealand
Level Contributor
6 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Survivor returning to Samoa in 2011?

Yes - unfortunately this is true - because we are now fighting with AGGIES to do the responsible thing and relocate us to another hotel at no extra cost. We booked a holiday package which they promoted heavily, and as of last week they pulled their accomodation, and are trying to weazle out of their responsibility to compensate us to ensure we get the same package but at another hotel.

So they accept the big wallets, and throw us (the ones who still visit when survivor are not there), with apparently no consequence.

I can honestly say if they dont step up and pay the costs - thats the last time I go there and I will certainly not promote them!

Its very poor form, and tourism samoa should put pressure on them to do the right thing by their pacific friends!!

nz
Destination Expert
for Norfolk Island, Noosaville, Rarotonga
Level Contributor
6,252 posts
275 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Survivor returning to Samoa in 2011?

I can't believe this!

Have just been watching TV and see a big advert for Aggie Grey's Beach Resort. How stupid can they be to keep advertising when they are already cancelling bookings.

It was bad enough the first time. After this no-one will ever be able to trust Samoa tourism again.

Auckland
Level Contributor
156 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Survivor returning to Samoa in 2011?

I can understand your feelings, but please remember that there are many beautiful places for accommodation on both Islands for people to enjoy a holiday,other than Aggie Grey's.

Please do not allow the short sightedness of those who signed up for another Survivor series to deter you from a holiday on these beautiful Islands. It is the whole Tourism industry in Samoa who will suffer otherwise. Some, or many, of these accommodation providers are already struggling due to the downturn in the world economy, the tsunami of two years ago and the backlash from the previous survivor entourage booking out Aggie Grey's. It is not the fault of these other resorts or fales or Samoa tourism.

It is important that tourists continue to holiday in Samoa. After all, Samoa is not Aggie Grey's. Those who book elsewhere are most pleasantly surprised .... and they come again and again.

Woolgoolga...
Destination Expert
for Apia, Samoa
Level Contributor
4,193 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Survivor returning to Samoa in 2011?

Well said dayslong

It is not the Samoan Govt and Tourism Authority that is causing this and I can only assume now that Tonga is involved in the equation that Aggies has had short notice and therefore have resorted to tactics they used last time which caused a total fall out for the entire country.

We don't want the furore that occured last time with people threatening not even to put feet onto Samoan shore because of one resorts short sighted business dealings. Thankfully this time we have more resorts to choose from - Le Uaina, Galusina, Samoa Hideaway Beach and Seabreeze will be reopening in July. Many of the resorts that have had to rebuild have become bigger and better thus accommodating more people.

Aggies is by no means the most beautiful resort in Samoa. For weddings on Upolu look at Sinalei, Coconuts, Le Uaina or a simple beach wedding at Taufua Beach Fales or Litia Sini at Lalomanu or Le Manumea in Apia. On Upolu I'd highly recommend Savaii Lagoon Resort, Le Lagoto and Va-i-Moana. There is so much choice in so many budget ranges.

Before changing your minds and going to some other Pacific country (you'll never find the equal to Samoa), have a look at the oodles of accommodation available on jasons.com/samoa and samoa-hotels.ws - you will find that special paradise you are looking for.

For those wishing to stay at Aggies in town they are offering a 20% discount because of the inconvenience and if you wish to defer your trip until after the series is finished then there is a special reopening rate - not much use I know if you want to go now.

Manuia le aso

Deb

Mentioned in this post
Tonga
Tonga
South Pacific
Upolu
Upolu
Samoa
New Zealand
Level Contributor
6 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Survivor returning to Samoa in 2011?

Thanks for your comments.

I love samoa - and I strongly promote it. My husband is samoan, and we will continue to go back for holidays etc. I do not want people to not go to samoa for this problem that has occured.

What I dont understand as a business women, is how it can be so hard for Aggies to simply say - sorry no accomodation for you, and then when we can find other hotels to accomodate us, we are suddenly are left with no breakfast, and having to pay more because of this situation. This is after the package is book and paid for. This seems inconsiderate of their pacific friends!

I have stayed at both the Aggies hotel and resort before, and as much as a discount (which I have yet to hear about) is a nice offering, it is by no means equivelent to a stay at a resort! The hotel is in need of a revamp.

Please dont get me wrong - I love samoa and you are right it is the most beautiful island of them all. I heavily supported the aid effort after the tsunami, hence us going back! However I do not think the actions so far of aggies is acceptable, and dont think it is too much to expect that they will ensure that the package we bought is relocated to another resort at no extra cost.

What would you expect?

The other point perhaps needs to be - survivor should offer to pay aggies to compensate the travellers who are left in the lurch!!!

Coming from someone who married in the islands, if my wedding was cancelled, I would be devastaed and furious - I feel for those who are in this situation!

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
1,129 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Survivor returning to Samoa in 2011?

Thanks Dayslong for your sensible and inspiring comments! Malo lava!

There are many other places to stay in Samoa; Aggie's is not the 'be all and end all' to these beautiful islands. If anyone out there wants information or opinions on any of the other lovely resorts and fale properties in Samoa ... please post in here and ask. Between all of us who post on here, we have been to most, if not all, of the available accommodations across both 'Upolu and Savai'i.

Samoa tourism is suffering badly at this time, and these friendly islands need the travellers to continue coming. I too am thinking shame on you Aggie Greys Resort, for your short sightedness in these times! I don't think I will showing them any further patronage after this debacle.

Seasondtraveller_8, I dearly hope that you find somewhere else to enjoy your Samoan holiday. Please let us know if any of us can help you with questions you may have on any of the other properties on the island. Only too happy to help if we can - I understand how frustrating and disappointing this must be for you and your family.

Manuia le aso

Tina

Mentioned in this post
Upolu
Upolu
Samoa
Auckland
Level Contributor
156 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Survivor returning to Samoa in 2011?

Dear Seasondtraaveller,

Your situation is extremely disappointing for you as it will be for others who have had their bookings cancelled.

Thank you for saying that you will continue to go to Samoa. The country is in much need of the tourist dollar as that is its only income really, I am sure you are aware of that.

I am surprised to hear that you are not being offered breakfast inclusive where you are now booked. All accommodation providers (to my knowledge) have a breakfast inclusive in their nightly rate. Double check this in case there is a misunderstanding.

Other accommodation providers in Samoa cannot offer the same special package as Aggie grey's who make up the difference on the sheer volume of bookings nd drinks. However, you will find that by booking at a smaller resort, you will be more relaxed and private, and yet be able to enjoy all that beautiful Samoa has to offer.

I do not wish to offend anyone who likes Aggie Grey's, but my personal opinion, having stayed there, is that it is just a resort anywhere in the world with nothing special to offer. The food is not good either in my many experiences.

Log onto www.samoa-hotels.ws

and there you will find all the accommodations in Samoa, with photos, rates and property details. If you choose to ring Samoa Hotel Association for advice, you will find them most helpful.

As I said before, Aggie Grey's is not Samoa and thank goodness it is not.

Hopefully, those who read these postings in defence of Samoa will continue to book accommodation there.

Edited: 07 April 2011, 23:19
New Zealand
Level Contributor
6 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Survivor returning to Samoa in 2011?

hi there

I am very aware of the tourism needed there and I will continue to go back for the fact that is simply the best place in the islands in my eyes. I will not be returning to aggies again after this. You are right - aggies is not the be all and end all!!!

Believe me I am aware most accomodations offer breakfast in the islands -as I have done alot of travelling in this world. but this is what I have been told and stuck with until aggies come to their senses!

It sounds as though you have inside information in regards to the accomodation providers in samoa, and your view point is great for someone who hasnt booked and paid for a holiday months ago. For those who are wanting to go to samoa - yes please look around as there are some fabulous hotels / resorts which are amazing and unique. I have stayed in some great places - from back packers to resorts there!!! There is something for everyone on both islands!

I prefer the ethnic feel of a hotel and most times - I prefer the bure on the beach instead of a large hotel, and Samoa can offer both.

But my point in posting on this forum is to voice my opinion and get others in the same situation to stand up and not wear this irresponsible attitude. When you as a consumer have booked and paid for something, then it is withdrawn from the market - wouldnt you expect a replacement of equal value?

My family cant wait to go and I am trying to sort this nightmare out so that it doesnt worry them and reflect badly. Infact I will need an extended break after all this. Hehe

Auckland
Level Contributor
156 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Survivor returning to Samoa in 2011?

Malo Lava

Let us hope that the powers that be at Aggie Grey's read your postings!