We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Aggies Greys Island resort vs Mana Island, Fiji

Auckland, New...
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Aggies Greys Island resort vs Mana Island, Fiji

My family (2 adults, 2 kids 5yrs & 9yrs) are planning a tropical escape in late September.

Just wondering if anybody has stayed at Aggie Grey's Island resort and Mana Island, Fiji. I would like your thoughts on which one you thought was the best for a relaxing family holiday.

PS. We are very much beach people.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
113 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Aggies Greys Island resort vs Mana Island, Fiji

Aggies will take your booking but prepare for it to be cancelled at the last minute if "Survivor" extend their production in September.

Destination Expert
for Apia, Samoa
Level Contributor
4,153 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Aggies Greys Island resort vs Mana Island, Fiji

Malo lava Jill

Lucky you, an island holiday is great at any time but having been to both Mana and Samoa, I'd pick Samoa hands down any day. Mana is way too overcrowded to be able to simply relax and enjoy the surrounds and the beach.

Aggie Grey's Beach Lagoon Resort and Spa (it's not an island but within the island of Upolu in Samoa) is a fantastic place for kids having a great kids club and baby sitting facilities with lots of activities to keep them amused while Mum and Dad get some prescious time out together. As Zozo said though I wouldn't set my heart on it or plan around it, The Survivor filming is due to finish on 16th September but if it's anything like last time they ran over time by a few weeks.

There are many other options of beautiful accommodation in Samoa which still has a pristine environment, is relatively untouched by mainstream tourism and has very unaffected, warm, funny and welcoming people. It is considered the heart of Polynesia and is where you'll find the most genuine Polynesian culture.

The vast majority of accommodation is on the beach, unfortunately many have a no children under 12 policy but others like Samoana Surf Resort (not specifically for surfers) and Le Uaina are wonderful choices and right on the beach set in stunning tropical surrounds with your own separate enclosed fale (small Samoan house) and all the mod cons, great food and wonderful staff who will cater to your every need.

.You also might like to try the experience of a night staying in either an open or enclosed beach fale at Lalomanu Beach. The fales are right on the beach and the open ones just have a mattress on the floor and blinds that pull down at night to give you privacy, kids just love it and there's nothing like going to sleep under the stars or watching a stunning sunset and listening to the waves roll over the nearby reef. Both breakfast and dinner are included in the price, it is an experience everyone that goes to Samoa should try even if only for 1 night. The enclosed fales have proper beds and walls with small verandahs. Facilities are shared though. The beach is wonderful for both swimming and snorkelling and as it is in the village of Lalomanu your neighbours are the friendly local villagers. Have a look at Taufua Beach Fales and Litia Sini Resort.

You might also like to try the other main island in Samoa, Savaii, where kids are welcome everywhere, or if you have the time divide it between both islands. Some resorts to look at on Savaii are the fantastic Savaii Lagoon Resort where you can choose from a garden or beachfront bungalow, they have huge rooms with a kitchen and sitting area, are very family friendly, decorated in traditional Samoan decor (as most resorts are) and have an outdoor shower (meaning you can see the sky through a glass roof but the sides are enclosed) within the bungalows. The food here is great and the staff very friendly. The beach out front is beautiful and great for all water sports. If you're interested in divingor snorkelling then Dive Savaii across the road offers dive and snorkel trips to the reef at different times during the day. Next door to Savaii Lagoon is Le Lagoto Resort, once again you get a beaut little, very traditional, Samoan fale with all the mod cons, great dining and they share the same beach. Then there is Va-i-Moana Seaside Lodge which is fast becoming a favourite and ideal place to stay on Samoa. It is a truly wonderful place to stay, loves kids and the owners, Sale and Rosie, do everything to make sure you are comfortable and the food is out of this world. The fales are either open or the enclosed ones have ensuites, the setting is beautiful but unfortunately the beach is not much chop.

Well there's a few examples Jill, for a more comprehensive list of accommodation on all budgets go to jasons.com/samoa and samoa-hotels.ws and you'll find a plethora of info.

Have you thought of hiring a car, they are very reasonably priced and the best way to see Samoa, the country, incredible scenery and to experience the people and their unique culture.

Forget about Fiji, it maybe a tourist Mecca but it has lost the charm it had 30 or 40 years ago.

I'm sure you'll probably have more questions so please feel free to come back and ask.

Have fun planning.

Manuia le aso (have a great day)

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
1,129 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Aggies Greys Island resort vs Mana Island, Fiji

Malo lava

Being that you are very much 'beach' people, I would highly recommend that you get yourselves across to Savai'i (the ferry landing is only 10 mins in a taxi from the international airport - ferry takes approx 1 hour) and go up to Manase to Savai'i Lagoon Resort, or across to Va-i-Moana. They are both beautiful, and you will have a great time!

Both have enclosed and lockable accommodations, but Vai-i-Moana also has a couple of open fronted beach fales which are just absolutely gorgeous. Nothing quite like staying in an open fale, and Deb is right; most kids love it!

As others have said, if the production of Survivor runs over time, Aggie's will cancel your booking without a second thought. We saw it all last time, and even though we got behind them and tried to support them, they really didn't show much concern for Samoa tourism! Anyway, there are many other properties in Samoa where you will get more bang for your buck, AND a more genuine Samoan cultural experience :o)

Good luck with your planning - and please come back and ask lots of questions - that's what we're here for :o)

Fa soifua

4. Re: Aggies Greys Island resort vs Mana Island, Fiji

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 October 2012, 06:15
Follow this conversation!
Get notified when a new reply comes in.
Follow now