We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dress buying/ making in Apia

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
113 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Dress buying/ making in Apia

Hi Guys.

We have a wedding to attend in August upon returning from Samoa.

We'd like to buy a couple of nice traditional/colourful/Polynesian style dresses for our daughters while in Apia(or elsewhere).

Will we find such in the markets or are there dressmakers that can help? Happy to pay for good quality.

Thanks, ZO

Mentioned in this post
Samoa
Samoa
South Pacific
Apia
Apia
Upolu, Samoa
Sydney
Level Contributor
354 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dress buying/ making in Apia

The fugalei market sells outfits starting from $40SAT but for good quality and dresses you could wear more than once bcos theyre quite nice try the plantationhouse in alafua its maybe ten minutes out from apia or menas designs in apia its right nexr door to mahelanis boutique both are located across the road from the market facing the toyota dealership

Woolgoolga...
Destination Expert
for Apia, Samoa
Level Contributor
4,191 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dress buying/ making in Apia

Malo lava ZO

Apart from the food markets at Fugalei ther are the main markets right in the middle of Apia where you'll find pflethora of outfits, dresses and jewellery, hats etc to go along with them , it's a great, fun experience and don't forget to bargain, that's part of the fun,the vendors are used to it and you can normally talk them down around 20%.. Many of the vendors will make up something for you if you ask. Try Rose at shop 126, she does excellent work.

Apart from that there are a few shops that will make things up for you if you have the material. I recomend a sh'op opposite the Post Office (can't recall the name) who do excellent work for a very reasonable price., There is also a shop next to the chemist and Westpac on Beach Road that sells and makes amazing stuff. If you're willing to spend the extra bucks then go to Janets in Janets Arcade or on the other side of tghe street Amy's Gift shop or just around the corner Samoa Loco Style.

To get material try Molesi, Chan Mow, Lavalava Samoa, Big Bear and Frankie's - you'll be spoiled for choice. All of these are in central Apia.

Hope this helps, any more questions please nsk.

Have a wonderul holiday

Manuia le aso

Deb

Mentioned in this post
Apia
Apia
Upolu, Samoa
Samoa
Samoa
South Pacific
kurrajong
Destination Expert
for Samoa
Level Contributor
846 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dress buying/ making in Apia

thanks this is helpful, i always get lava lavas made , but his time i think i am going to trat myself with a puletasi. I usually go the the place next to the chemist ( as you mentioned) so would you recommed them for making a puletasi?

sue

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
113 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dress buying/ making in Apia

Cheers for the info.

I'll jot the names down and take a look.

ZO :-)

Woolgoolga...
Destination Expert
for Apia, Samoa
Level Contributor
4,191 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dress buying/ making in Apia

Malo Sue

You can also wander down the street opposite Sydney Cafe towards the food markets and there are heaps of little shops that both sell material and make up the puletasi or have ready made ones. The shop next to the chemist is a little but pricier than other places but she will make sure that it's a perfect fit at no extra cost and they are great quality, You can also get them ready made at Molesi but the quality is not half as good.

Manuia le aso

Deb

6. Re: Dress buying/ making in Apia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 May 2012, 05:19