We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sunday

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
155 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Sunday

I know this question has probably already been asked but are beaches, waterfalls the markets and restraunts still open on a sunday?

Beaches including Lalomanu beach and Palolo Deep Marine Reserve.

Waterfalls including Papaseea Sliding rocks, Papapapai'tai Falls.

And Restraunts like the Paddles.

Is there any valus we need to respect and stick too on a sunday??

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
155 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sunday

We may think about changing our days by doing south coast Upolu on the Sunday. Including Virgin Cove, Toitogiga Falls, To Sua trench, Vavau Beach and Lalomanu Beach??

kurrajong
Destination Expert
for Samoa
Level Contributor
843 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sunday

hi

lalomanu beach will be open,

i know paddles is closed on sunday, they are many places open, such as the resorts which you could pop in for a meal.

Papapapaitai waterfall is just a look out so you can go and see that any time, sunday is fine.

sunday is a day of respect and rest, but many places are still open, i have enjoyed drivng through villages on sunday and seeing all the local dressed to go to church often in white dresses with hats, its gorgeous, just drive slowly and with respect as you will notice there are heaps of people about going to and fro from church.

i'm not sure about to sua trench and the sliding rocks.

Not sure about vavau beach ( i love this beach its stunning) when we were there last ( march 2010) it was still closed from the tsunami damage.

hopefully someone has some news on vavau as i would love to go back there.

enjoy your trip

sue

Woolgoolga...
Destination Expert
for Apia, Samoa
Level Contributor
4,031 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sunday

Malo

,I can't add much to what to Sue has said except that Papasee'a is closed,

waterfalls open but with many you'll have to pay (except for Papapapa). The flea markets are closed but the Maketi Fou (food market) is open early in the day as is the fish market which is out the back of the flea market, might be worth a visit to see all the colours of the rainbow that the fish come in. One supermarket is open from 8am-9pm - Farmer Joe and that is opposite the food market. Palolo Deep is also closed.

As for restaurants,Roko's Italian Restaurant is open, it is on the right hand side of the road not far from the Samoan Outrigger Hotel as you go to Vailima. Roma's Cafe in the mall in the centre of town is open for breakfast, lunch and dinner. The food at Aggie Grey's Hotel in the Big Fale Restaurant isn't bad and is priced quite reasonably.

I'm not sure either about To Sua. If you have a meal at Virgin Cove you'll be able too wander around, as with all the resorts on the south coast. Vavau is open (I'm pretty sure). If you're driving around take it slowly as Sue mentioned,particularly as there are kids wandering all over the road. Between 6-8 am and 5-7pm each day many villages practice SA, this is a time of prayer, meditation and quietness and a time where villagers don't leave their homes or go walking or driving through the village If you are going through a village at any of these times just drive very slowly, radio off etc - on Sunday you'll often see men on the roadside in their best dress, this means Sa is in progress.

If you see a spot you like there's no harm in stopping just be aware that someone might either approach you for a fee or ask you to move on if it's Sunday. If you do go to church make sure you wear clothes that don't expose to much. Even if you aren't religious going to church in Samoa is an amazing experience just to hear Samoans sing in so mch harmony.

Hope this helps Saifiti, how long to go now? It seems like you've been preparing this trip for ages!!!! lol. Are you getting excited yet?

Manuia le aso

Deb

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
1,129 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sunday

Malo lava

The To Sua Trench on the South Coast is open on Sundays. Lalomanu beach is fine on Sundays, but no surfing! lol! Kayaking is fine though. I know that seems strange, but that's village rules for you :o)

Sunday in Apia is very quiet, and this time of year, many of the waterfalls are dry due to it being the dry season. I would check re the waterfalls with the Tourism Bureau in town, if you have the chance!

Fa soifua

Tina

Woolgoolga...
Destination Expert
for Apia, Samoa
Level Contributor
4,031 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sunday

Malo uo

Do you know whether the planes are leaving from Fagali'i for Savaii or are they still cancelled?

Tai tele

Deb

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
1,129 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sunday

Malo fo'i

As far as I'm aware, the Fagali'i service to Savai'i has been suspended. I haven't heard anything about reinstatement, but am happy to be proven wrong! I'll ask someone in the family and see what response I can get back.

Manuia le aso, fa soifua!

Tinz

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
113 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sunday

Palolo Deep resereve was open on Sunday two weeks ago :-)

Woolgoolga...
Destination Expert
for Apia, Samoa
Level Contributor
4,031 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sunday

Thanks zozo, must be a recent thing although over the past few years places have been opening more and more. Back then there were NO shops or sightseeing spots open, roadside stalls weren't allowed, in fact the only places open were churches. The culture is slowly changing, some for the best and some not.

Anyway, how did the trip go?

Manuia le aso

Deb

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
113 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sunday

Hi Deb.

The trip was amazing-our best family holiday yet!

5 days in Apia then a couple of nights at Lalomanu, across to Savaii and 10 days around the Manase area.

Such a breath of fresh air: pristine tropical land/seascapes, lovely people and light-on-the-ground tourists-manaia!

Fa soifua for all of the advice you guys offered in the leadup.

:-) :-):-) ZoZo

Woolgoolga...
Destination Expert
for Apia, Samoa
Level Contributor
4,031 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sunday

Seki a (fantastic) ZoZo

I'm so glad you enjoyed yourselves after all the trouble leading up to your trip. Fortunately all of Samoa is not tarred with the same brush as you know who.

Any help we can give you if you ever want to return, you know where to find us.

Fa soifua

Deb