We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay with family

Beenleigh, Australia
10 posts
Save Topic
Where to stay with family

Hi everyone,

I am in the very early research stage of trying to organise a holiday for our family to Samoa (will be next year). I was trying to get there earlier than that but finances changed so the holiday plan had to change. I was originally looking at staying at Aggie Grey Lagoon, beach resort, but after reading the comments in "Aggie Grey !!!!!!! Fail" I am having serious second thoughts. My husband and I have two children 10 & 13 who love the natural world so anything that includes water and animals would keep them happy. With this being our very first ever overseas holiday my husband would like to stay at a resort type place, the reason for this is that for a first visit we would have no idea what or where to eat and also would hate to find ourselves staying in accom that is not acceptable for over a week (and then hating our holiday and not returning). We were going to use this first visit as an opportunity to have a look around at the island and then see what accom there was available elsewhere and perhaps stay at a more traditional accom type next time. Any suggestions that you could give me would be greatly appreciated. I have done a little searching for things to do and see and the two things on the Kids must see list are To Sua Ocean Trench and Swimming with the turtles on the other island. I myself think I would chicken out on the Trench (afraid of heights). So any ideas for things to see would also be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for any help you can give me. Have a great day :-)

Chris

kurrajong
Destination Expert
for Samoa
Level Contributor
835 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay with family

Hi chris

you have chosen a great first overseas holiday destination ( it was our first overseas holiday as a family as well!!, on our first trip our boys were very similar ages) , we then all loved it so much we have been back 4 times together as a family.

accomodation we all loved - there is aggies in town - yes its old but it has a certian charm about it! which we liked.

our now favourite place to stay in town ( well its 5 mins out out town up the hill, which is nice as its cooler then in town) is LeManumea resort, its lovely small boutique resort with amazing large rooms, the 4 of you can all be in one room, fantatic bathroom, and nice pool. its nice to stay here and hire a car and explore, do day trips etc. but as its in town its not on a beach. our boys love this place.

seabreeze reosrt has just been reopened and is family favourite. not sure of the kids ages ( you might just scrap it in!!) wonderful place and nice little beach out the frount, they have kayaks and the boys spent hours kayaking around toghether just out the frount, you can all go as a family on a kayak to selcluded beachs - heaps of fun, and the snorkelling was great, but they were hit hard with the tsunami , so i expect the coral recieved alot of damage, but there will be fish!. the food here is always amazing, since the rebuild they also have a pool, so worth a look for sure. the new rooms look incredible. we are going in 6 weeks so i will post a review with heaps of photos.

litia sini is lovely and is on the most amazing beach, the boys would love this beach its incredible - picture pefect. maybe worth a look for a night or two? beach fales are wondeful and these ones even come with a bed, shared bathrooom facilities, and they have a big verandah.

on savaii - look into savaii lagoon, and lelagoto resort, both are lovely savaii lagoon has kitchen's, both these places are on a stunning beach and not far from the turtles.

hope this helps get you started.

sue

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
1,129 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay with family

Malo lava

Agree with Sue on Le Manumea in Apia - definitely worth a visit.

Also, Litia Sini might be good for you, as yes it is beach fales, but it's more upmarket than most, and it's still on the best beach (Lalomanu Beach) on the island of 'Upolu. Plenty to see and do there, and if you are keen snorkelers, you will likely see turtles inside the reef. Do adhere tho to all warnings and rules re currents, and if in doubt, ask!!!!

Seabreeze is gorgeous! As Sue has said, you may just scrape in there with your 10 year old. The rebuild is amazing. Find the reviews on Seabreeze here on TA - I wrote one a few weeks ago, it has pics too. Truly it's a beautiful place.

I would stay well away from Aggie's Lagoon Resort. It's not that authentic and I really do believe you will have a much better experience at any of the places above. Others to consider are Le Uaina and SaMoana on 'Upolu, and also check out Savai'i Lagood resort on Savai'i. That would be perfect for you.

Fa soifua

Tina

Beenleigh, Australia
10 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay with family

Thank you for your suggestions, I will check them all out. I have had a quick look and do like the look of Seabreeze and Le Uaina so far. I was pleased to read on the Seabreeze website that the reason for the age restrictions is a safety issue and not that they don't want kids around.

Do you know if the Le Uaina Resort allows to book 2 villas beside each other (one for kids and one for us), unless I'm reading their website wrong the villas only sleep 3 people and there are 4 of us. I have read a few comments about the resort and they all seem to be very positive with regards to the rooms and food (the main concern of my hubby). We once had a holiday where the food supplied was all (in hubby terms) "Rabbit food" and the sizing was so small that my pet bird would have been hungry after finishing it. I told him -hopefully correctly- that Samoan food seems to feature seafood a lot - (hubby loves seafood) and there seems to be plenty to choose from and eat.

Thank you again for your information, I can't wait to finally get to Samoa. I have had a lot of people try to talk me into going to Bali or Fiji instead, but I have this idea in my head and I just want to go to Samoa. This is because I met a lady from Samoa when I was a kid (a long time ago) and she made Samoa sound like a relaxed paradise and I would rather that type of holiday than the rush of a place like Bali.

Woolgoolga...
Destination Expert
for Apia, Samoa
Level Contributor
3,865 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay with family

Malo lava

I'm sure Le Uaina would allow you to book to villas side by side or alternatively provide an extra bed, which may make it a little cramped but cheaper. Email them and ask them, they are a family run resort and go out of their way to make guests comfortable and see to their every needs.

As for food, if you finish your plate anywhere you are dining in Samoa, particularly at a feast, the hosts assume you are still hungry and will refill it. Many places have all you can eat buffets including seafood, pork, chicken, turkey, Samoan traditional dishes like Oka and palusami (a sensory explosion of taste in your mouth - coconut cream, onions, wrapped in taro leaves and cooked in an umu, sounds simple but out of this world), salads, local veggies, fruit, cakes - you never go hungry in Samoa. Make sure you go to a FiaFia night - a celebration of Samoan song, dance, story-telling and food - it's a great night of entertainment and the food supplied would probably tide you over for a couple of days.

You are so right in going to Samoa, although tourism is a mainstay of the economy it's nothing like the scale of Fiji and Bali and you can really get into the swing of island time very easily. You'll wonder if you've ever really known how to relax before.

Do check Savaii as well -Savaii Lagoon Resort and Le Lagoto are both wonderful resorts and you are able to resort hop if you want a change in menu. Manase Beach is not far away where you'll find a lot of fale accommodation where you can visit for a drink or 2 and get the feel for fale life.

Let us know what you decide and if you have any further questions you know where to find us.

Manuia le aso

Deb

5. Re: Where to stay with family

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2012, 06:17