We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Discovery Rentals

Auckland, New...
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Discovery Rentals

Just a warning to anyone looking to rent a car in Upolo, Samoa - Please avoid Discovery Rentals! We spent a lot of time (& money) dealing with Discovery Rentals over the phone from New Zealand, and they were very disorganised, and had not logged our booking despite initially booking nearly two months in advance and checking the booking a number of times leading up to the trip.

On arrival in Samoa (with our two and four year old) the car was delivered nearly two hours late, by which time we had missed our breakfast booking, and the sun was beating down. Not fun with two young hungry and hot children.

When we raised this with Discovery Rentals they simply said they were short on cars, and had to bring a vehicle to us from another depot, as if this was our problem. I politely said that this was fairly poor service, and that we should be compensated for our inconvenience, to which Discovery Rentals responded no, and simply said they would run the booking time from the time of drop-off, and would collect the car the same time tomorrow at our resort destination (where we had previously arranged to have the car collected from), which was unsatisfactory really as we did not need nor want the car the following day at all, as we were always going to be at our location by that time with no need for a car – as they will have known.

On collection of the vehicle it was made clear to us that we were to leave the car with the same amount of petrol in the tank (which usually would be absolutely reasonable), however we were not told that we were driving to a very remote location – which had NO PETROL STATIONS within an hour and a half of the destination – which Discovery Rentals surely would have known and could have advised. The following morning I got up early and drove for the better part of two hours trying to satisfy this condition – which trust me, could not be done. Instead, and despite paying $150 for collection of the car over and above the market rental cost, I was charged a further $100 for petrol and filling costs, which was a complete gouge. Very disappointing, especially as they used a transporter and surely could have stopped by one of the gas stations on the way back to the depot and little to no cost?

On sharing my experience with other guests I heard very similar stories. So unfortunately it does not sound as though as if this experience was uniquely ours.

In short – steer clear of Discovery Rentals. The Discovery Rentals experience seems to be all cost and no service.

Edited: 17 October 2011, 09:10
Woolgoolga...
Destination Expert
for Apia, Samoa
Level Contributor
3,984 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Discovery Rentals

Malo lava

I'm so sorry to hear that you had such a bad exprience with Discovery, you haven't been the 1st to complain and I dare say you won't be the last. Overall in the last 6 months or so we have stop recommending them so hopefully your post may also deter others who have been thinking of hiring a car but haven't asked for recommendations.

I'm pleased to know it didn't ruin your holiday, Samoa is too beautiful a country to be spoiled by a rental company

Thanks for the review

Fa soifua

Deb

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
1,129 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Discovery Rentals

Hi Campbell07

Sorry to hear you had issues with Discovery - I never use or recommend them.

That aside, how was the rest of your holiday?

Fa soifua

Tina

Auckland, New...
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Discovery Rentals

Thanks Deb & Tina.

The rest of our holiday was amazing. We love Samoa and will definitely return.

Regards,

Campbell.

Woolgoolga...
Destination Expert
for Apia, Samoa
Level Contributor
3,984 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Discovery Rentals

That's great Campbell. Next time try Blue Pacific Car hare, Samoana Rentals. Island Renta, Go Rentals or Funway. I'm sure you'll be more than pleased by the service of any of them.

Fa soifua

Deb

Melbourne, Australia
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Discovery Rentals

I concurr - Don't hire with Discovery rentals. I was left without a car (due to mechanical failure), out of pocket for lost days, and Discovery ignoring my emails regarding their promise of a refund.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
78 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Discovery Rentals

We had a similar experience trying to book with Discovery Rentals - completely disorganised, wanted a deposit, wanted to charge extra for 2 people to drive the car, etc etc. In the end I gave up and went with Blue Pacific who were very good.

Auckland
Level Contributor
39 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Discovery Rentals

I am quite surprised to read all the negative comments re Discovery. We (2 adults 3 kids) have just returned from Samoa and rented a car from them for 9 days.

I found all my emails and booking request were answered in a friendly and timely manner.

On arrival at the airport the car was ready and waiting for us. The final details of our booking were completed without any hassles and we had 9 days of trouble free motoring independence on both islands.

We drove to the airport and dropped the car there, once again with no problems.

Cost of the hire was ST$1000 for 9 days (left hand drive Tuscon 4wd) which I think was very reasonable.

I had quotes from numerous other companies but found Discovery to be the cheapest.

Maybe we got lucky????????

Woolgoolga...
Destination Expert
for Apia, Samoa
Level Contributor
3,984 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Discovery Rentals

Thanks for you comments.

Discovery always used to get rave reviews but over the last year or so we have been getting more and more bad reviews so I think you were lucky. It may have been because you opted for a LHD which don't get used all that often since the change over in 2009.

I hope you had a wonderful time.

pago pago
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Discovery Rentals

Hi all

Deb - I think you hit it right on the head with Discovery Rentals having had rave reviews previously and now just gotten worse and worse. I used to deal with them also as a regular client from Pago - and there was a very professional and efficient manager there who I always dealt with however was told left last year. And from what I can see - with her went all the best qualities of what used to be a very professional outfit! I no longer rent with them mainly due to more competitive offers elsewhere which never really used to be an issue with me - but the customer service there no longer exists!

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Discovery Rentals

We also had unpleasant experience with Discovery rentals.

The car was delivered 3 hours late.

And it was a very old car which was literaly falling apart (we were seriously concerned that the battery would die during our trip to Savaii).

Also, at some point the door handle got broken (as the car was in very bad shape). When we were returning the car, the guy wanted to charge us for the handle replacement! And when we refused he started to frighten us with police. However, after we said that we in fact want to go to police to file a report, he quickly decided not to charge us for the broken handle.

Would not recomend this rental company!