We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beach at Savaii compared to Fiji (Yasawas)

Sydney
Level Contributor
43 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Beach at Savaii compared to Fiji (Yasawas)

Hi, we have been trying to decide whether to go to the Yasawas in Fiji (Blue Lagoon Beach Resort or Octopus) or Savaii in Samoa for our vacation. would greatly appreciate any advice as to the difference in the two countries, especially in relation to the beach and the snorkeling and perhaps just the general culture and atmosphere.

THanks!

Woolgoolga...
Destination Expert
for Apia, Samoa
Level Contributor
3,865 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beach at Savaii compared to Fiji (Yasawas)

Malo lava Kate

It's 30 years since I've been to Fiji and then I stayed on Mana, Matamanoa and Plantation Islands with just the one night on the mainland and it was stunning and I imagine very similar to what Samoa is now although you could probably knock another 10 years off that. My step son goes to Fiji often but he's more into the nightlife and how cheap it is to hang around than anything else although he does go for the occasional dive, snorkel or surf.

I think unfortunately Fiji has become a tourist Mecca and is basically overcrowded unless you're in the millionaire class and can afford a private island. That's not to say that the beaches aren't beautiful and the snorkeling amazing.

The main difference between the 2 is that Samoa is still relatively untouched by mainstream tourism, the environment is still pristine, the scenery stunningly beautiful, the people warm, welcoming, friendly and funny and the culture unique - Samoa is the birthplace of Polynesian culture and still holds true to the traditions of that culture more than any other Polynesian nation. The food is also Polynesian, as fresh as it gets and some exquisite tastes you'll never find anywhere else.

There are some beautiful beaches to be found on all 4 frequented islands but bearing in mind that it is a country built on volcanic rock, some beaches look wonderful but you have to tread carefully when swimming, diving etc and may need reef shoes. The 2009 tsunami devastated much of the reef that surrounds Upolu but it has started to regenerate really well, which is great because at one stage we thought it had died altogether. There are some great snorkeling, diving and surfing beaches - on Upolu have a look at Lalomanu Beach and the accommodation there - Taufua Beach Fales and Litia Sini and on Savaii the best is Manase Beach where there are several fale accommodations and the village of Fagamalo with awesome Savaii Lagoon Resort and Le Lagoto, the are next door to each other and have a beautiful little beach a few metres from your doorstep. Dive Savaii also operates in Fagamalo and they do frequent daily dive and snorkel trips out to the reef at very reasonable prices.

The atmosphere?? - Well if you revel living on "island time" 24 hours a day then you'll love Samoa. Everything runs fa'a Samoa (the Samoan way) and life is taken as it comes. To get a real feel for the Samoan way of life try a village stay, something that you are not able to do in many other countries. You get a real feel for who these amazing people are and experience the heart of the culture and Samoan traditions.

Going to Samoa is like going back 30+ years in time when life was a lot more simple and hassle free, Unlike Fiji and other South Pacific tourist spots you haven't got people hovering over you all the time, Samoans just want to make sure you are comfortable and have everything you need without pestering you.

So Kate, you can see I'm biased but I've been going to and living part time in Samoa for a long time, I've also been to many other places around the world and after all that I call Samoa my 2nd home. I'd choose Samoa over Fiji mainly because it is a nation true to itself and they call it "The Treasured Isles" because of it's natural beauty, culture and people and because the heritage has been preserved.

After that rather long winded response, if you want to check out accommodation and everything Samoan then have a look at jasons.com/samoa and see what you think. If you want to ask anymore questions concerning accommodation within your budget, what type of accom you prefer, getting around, beaches, village stays or anything else then you know where we are.

I hope this helps

Manuia le aso (have a great day)

Deb

Sunshine Coast, Qld
Level Contributor
367 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beach at Savaii compared to Fiji (Yasawas)

I visited the Yasawas back in the '80's as a teenager on my first overseas holiday. Back then, the islands were practically free of resorts and we got to visit a market on the beach and a local village. However, time has moved on and it seems that the development from the mainland has spread out to these islands. I imagine they are still a pristine piece of paradise as far as the beach and water go but you are limited to the surrounds.

We visited Samoa last September and the thing that we absolutely loved was the lack of tourism. There were no big chain glitzy hotels, and we cruised around all day every day in our hire vehicle just watching village life. It was such a "genuine" country compared to other places that have been over touristed. I can't stress highly enough how amazed we were to be able to see children walk to school in their beautiful uniforms and locals genuinely living life traditionally. Most countries we visit have the token "visit a traditional village" tour which ends up being a show put on for the tourists, but not here......you just have to open your eyes, open your ears and enjoy.

Hope this helps.

3. Re: Beach at Savaii compared to Fiji (Yasawas)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 May 2013, 10:33