We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Going to Samoa for the first time...HELP!!

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Going to Samoa for the first time...HELP!!

Hi All,

My husband and I are going to Samoa for our delayed honeymoon :). We are looking at going for about 7-10 days in April (both school teachers), we would love any ideas on where to stay (very keen on fales) and what to do (both PE teachers so adventurous). All suggestions would be soooo welcomed. THANKS in advance!!

The newly wed Wilsons!!

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
1,129 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Going to Samoa for the first time...HELP!!

Check out the beach fales here:

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i19831-Samoa_Be…

Come back with questions!!

If you want to travel around a bit, I suggest Savai'i. Lots of beach fales there, plus good diving and snorkelling to be had at Manase, which is where a lot of the fale properties are.

If you want to stay on the main island, then head to the south east coast and check out Taufua or Litia Sini's. Both good, both on the exact same stretch of beach, differences in ambience tho. Litia's better if you want more of a quiet 'couple' time, Taufua good if you want to live it up and meet people!

Fa soifua

Tina

Woolgoolga...
Destination Expert
for Apia, Samoa
Level Contributor
4,049 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Going to Samoa for the first time...HELP!!

Malo lava Jessica

Tina's link to the Go List will give you a lot of info which will be a great help. I also suggest you go to jasons.com/samoa, it lists all different types of accommodation available for all budgets as well as listing things to do for both the faint hearted, touristy types only interested in basically lying around AND it has great lists for the adventurous like hiking into Lake Lanoto on Upolu, a long, semi-difficult trek but well worth it for the sheer beauty of the place, There's also info on sites like the Canopy Walk on Savaii plus lots of info on off the beaten track, ancient cultural sites.

The Jasons site itself gives a lot of info but since you're not going until April go to the site and order a guide book and detailed map, they're free, and you'll have them inside a week.

One more suggestion, if you are keen on going on adventures in Paradise then you'll definitely need a car as public transport doesn't go to many out of the way places and taxi drivers would more than likely get lost.

Hope this helps, any more questions just fire away.

Congrats on your marriage and happy honeymoon planning, you've chosen one of the most romantic places in the world, maybe set a night aside to celebrate in style at somewhere like Seabreeze Resort or Sinalei Reef Resort - treat yourselves!!!

Manuia le aso (have a great day)

Deb

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Going to Samoa for the first time...HELP!!

Thank you so much for the information, I am going to order one of the guide books and see what we can find. Thank you so much for the links...its going to be an unforgettable experience that we are soo excited about.

Thanks for your help!

Jessica

Woolgoolga...
Destination Expert
for Apia, Samoa
Level Contributor
4,049 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Going to Samoa for the first time...HELP!!

Your welcome Jessica, any questions as you go along you know where to find us.

It will be unforgettable, Samoa is stunningly beautiful.

Fa soifua

Deb

5. Re: Going to Samoa for the first time...HELP!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 February 2012, 19:54
Woolgoolga...
Destination Expert
for Apia, Samoa
Level Contributor
4,049 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Going to Samoa for the first time...HELP!!

I agree Jessica, Manoa Tours are great value.'

I also had another thought, which may not fit into your time limit. If you wanted to stay in an actual village, where all your neighbours are the villagers then I highly recommend Taumesina Hideaway, it's where we stay for up to 6 months every year, is great value and set right on a lagoon that leads into Apia Harbour. Your host, Sara and Masi go out of their way to make sure you have everything you need and will even pick you up at the airport for 50 tala. They are a wealth of info about Samoa, they have enclosed fales for 115 tala a night which includes a whopping great big breakfast and tehy can take you to the best supermarkets so you can stock up on the necessities for your adventure honeymoon. I think it would be a great first night intro to Samoa and you can go anywhere from there. They are about 10 mins out of Apia so close to the markets and car rental companies.

Their website is being refurbished at the moment but should be live soon, in the meantime you can check out their Facebook page or email Sara at sarai@swa.gov.ws or taumesina.hideaway@gmail.com. Give it a go, it's an amazing experience and a fantastic introduction to Samoan Culture.

Manuia le aso

Deb

Sunshine Coast, Qld
Level Contributor
367 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Going to Samoa for the first time...HELP!!

Hi Jessica,

You've picked an amazing place to have your honeymoon. I have stayed in a few of the places recommended by the experts (thank goodness for them). We spent our first couple of nights at Taumesina. Sara and Massi picked us up from the airport at midnight and took us to our fales. It was a lovely place to arrive - out of the hussle and bustle of Apia but only 5 minutes drive away. The hire car company delivered our vehicle the first morning, right to the front door. Sara bought our breakfasts right to the fale each morning and was really helpful in directing us to places. They even drove us the whole way to the sliding rocks so that we wouldn't get lost (again). Apia is a great starting place. We went snorkelling at the Palolo deep reserve which we thought was good until we dived off the beaches around the islands later in our holiday. We also went to the Robert Louis Stevenson Museum, the markets and tried out a couple of restaurants in Apia before moving on.

We stayed at Taufua beach fales at Lalomanu which was one of the highlights of our trip. The family there are so friendly and welcoming and funny! My boys hit it off with some of the younger family members and had a great time. The food was wonderful, the beach stunning (except for the snorkelling since the tsunami) and the fia fia show on the Wednesday night was a scream. I would recommend visiting the To Sua ocean trench near here, the spectacular Sopoaga waterfall and Vavau beach which is a piece of paradise.

We also loved our nights' at the Samoana Resort. It is very special and the snorkelling is wonderful, but it is expensive as it caters for surfers. If you can afford a couple of nights there, I would recommend the Pool view chalet as you have your own outdoor bathroom.

Have fun planning....I don't really think you can go wrong.

Regards Michelle

Pago Pago, American...
Level Contributor
57 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Going to Samoa for the first time...HELP!!

Any trip to Apia should include a visit to the Robert Louis Stevenson home and adjoining nature preserve. Hike to the grave. Here's a video of the hike. http://amsamoa-busycorner.blogspot.com/ JW

9. Re: Going to Samoa for the first time...HELP!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 June 2013, 10:35
Get answers to your questions about Samoa
Recent Conversations