We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

planning now

Hamilton, New...
Level Contributor
84 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
planning now

Ye hah booked tickets for 21 aug- 4 sept. Now to start planning. I may drive you mad with questions. We managed to get flights in and out of Samoa in the afternoon so can catch bus to and from airport. Thought we spend first 2 days in Apia then go Savi'i. Stay at Lousias chalats for 2 or 3 days, Savilian hotel sounds good as well. Then to Jolan fales then maybe around to manase. Not sure if it best to stat put in one or two places or stay at lots. Some reviews not great, Will use bus's and maybe a car 1 or 2 days to explore. Go back to upolo and Taufua fales? Also maybe go to smaller islands for a look. I also wish to pay my respects to those who lost their loved ones in the tusnami. Would like to go to a fia fia night so have to think about timing eg best place to spend weekends. Want to eat at markets and small eateries. Hope to snorkle, kayak, go walking if I can cope with the heat. Need to stay last night handy for bus to airport following day. Phew, hows this for starters? cheers Erin.

Sydney
Level Contributor
348 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: planning now

Hi Erin,

It all sounds like a great adventure, I have never used the bus system in Samoa but if you want to get a feel for what its like you ought to read the blog posts by the US Peace Corps volunteers they have to use the busses all the time on both islands plus they have a "palagi" perspective on travel in the islands.

Personally I prefer to use a car in Savaii it just makes things easier and getting it onto the ferry isnt that difficult. If you stay at a place like Tanu Beach Fale's you have the added bonus of using the car as secure storage.

Don't forget to check out the Teuila Festival in Apia which usually happens first week of Sept. The Tourism Fale (next door to the Govt. House) always has cultural demonstrations taking place during that time, the shows vary from making traditional foods to tattooing.

kurrajong
Destination Expert
for Samoa
Level Contributor
835 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: planning now

talofa Erin,

you sound like you have a great attitude to your samoan holiday adventure!!! i love spending a few nights in apia, going to the markets, sliding rocks etc, my favourite place to stay is Manumea resort, really resonable prices, wonderful rooms.

the buses are an adventure and you have to be very open minded and realaxed and NOT in a hurry! but there are also taxi's every where and very resonable and affordable, and reliable.

In savaii i havent stayed at either the saviian or luisas chalets, but we have visited both. When we were in samoa last ( sept 2011) there was extremely good feedback about the savaiian, and the food was raved about !! we enjoyed a few meals there, really good and very frinedly hosts, they arnt on the best beach, but you dont have to go to far in samoa to find a great beach. Luisa's seemed nice as well, set on a lagoon not a beach, food was ok.

i really love savaii lagoon resort. there are many gorgeous fales in samoa, lots along the manese beach area.

another lovely place is Vai-moana resort, we had a lovely stay there, they also do fishing trips ( if your into that kind of thing!, my hubby is!)

hope this helps

sue

Sunshine Coast, Qld
Level Contributor
367 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: planning now

Hi Erin

We travelled to Samoa last September and stayed for a couple of nights at Lusias lagoon chalets. We had 3 teenage boys with us and booked the overwater lagoon ensuite chalets which are basic but have the ultimate outlook. These chalets have a deck that hangs out over the lagoon with it's own ladder access. We had a lot of fun jumping and diving into this beautiful lagoon and waking up to the sunrise over it. The breakfasts are also included and were really lovely with a tradition fruit and porridge served first and then a selection from the menu. We also travelled along the west coast and stopped at all the sights there which was a really long day....you could probably spend a night on that side of the island before travelling up to Manase. We stayed at Jane's fales which we loved. They had that real castaway feel to them. There are a lot of sights to visit (ie caves, lava tubes, blow holes, lava fields etc) so it was really easy having our own vehicle. We decided to catch a bus one day just for the experience and it turned into a very time consuming excercise.

Also, we stayed at Aganoa Surf resort for a couple of nights as my family surf. We actually got to swim with humpback whales there that were just resting off the beach. It was the ultimate and it wasn't planned. So, I don't think I have to go to Tonga now, as that was it's major drawcard! There were also a couple of turtle nests and hatchlings at Aganoa. It was worth going there for the snorkelling, the marine life and the beautiful beach but the resort could be managed a bit better.Good luck and have fun planning. We absolutely loved our stay in Samoa and recommend it highly.

Michelle

Edited: 16 February 2012, 23:54
Hamilton, New...
Level Contributor
84 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: planning now

Trying to organise things, would like some advice on wether to stay 1or2 nights in Apia then head over to savai'i then back again to explore Upolu? I would like to see festival also be at fales for a fiafia night and of course a sunday feast and church service. Also thinking of being able to get to airport without too much hassle, flight is in afternoon. cheers Erin.

5. Re: planning now

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 June 2013, 10:19