We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

30th anniversary holiday

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1 post
10 reviews
Save Topic
30th anniversary holiday

we are looking for a destination for a holiday with best friends for our 30th anniversary later this year.. we have done a reasonable amount of travelling but my mate hasn't.He has come up with Samoa as an option. Can you give us an idea of what to expect there and how long we need to go for to make the most but not overstay. A resort stay would probably be best and we would like to be close to restaurants and activities. Any help would be good -thanks. Syd

Woolgoolga...
Destination Expert
for Apia, Samoa
Level Contributor
4,117 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 30th anniversary holiday

Malo lava

If you have been to the Pacific Islands before you may have the impression they are all the same but Samoa is very different to anywhere else in the Pacific or the world if it comes to that. It is the heart of Polynesian culture and therefore traditons and culture are much stronger than in the other islands. Apart from stunning scenery, pristine environment, a plethora of things to see and do, unique food, great market shopping it has the most welcoming, happy people you could ever meet. It really is a true paradise. The lifestyle is very laid back and everything runs on island time, nothing is rushed.

As to how long you stay depends on whether you intend to visit both islands. If you do I'd allow 10 days for Upolu and 5 for Savaii. It also depends on how much you want to see and do or whether you just want to relax at a resort by the beach.

On Upolu I'd highly recommend Seabreeze Resort and Sinalei Reef Resort, both are different but buth are quite beautiful resorts by the sea with great, food, rooms, views, food, staff etc. Neither are huge resorts, not the type you can get lost in.

On Savaii - I can't speak highly enough on Savaii Lagoon Resort in the village of Fagamalo and next door a resort called Le Lagoto.

If you want to be adventurous then why not set aside a night in a traditional Samoan fale, they are very basic, facilities are shared and you don't have an ensuite or hot water but there is nothing like going to sleep listening to the sound of waves rolling across the reef and the watching the stars above. It's an experience not to be missed.

For everything Samoan check out jasons.com/samoa and you'll find listings of every sort of accommodation, things to do and see, transport options, tour companies etc.

The best way to get around Samoa is by rental car, you're able to explore on your own at your own pace stopping when and where you want.

You really can't go wrong visiting Samoa, most people wish they had more time to visit all the islands.

I hope I've given you some ideas to think about. Please let us know if you have any further questions or if you need advice on anything Samoan.

Happy planning

Manuia le aso (have a great day)

Deb

Sydney
Level Contributor
354 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 30th anniversary holiday

Also, the Australian dollar is worth $2.30 in Samoan Tala so it also makes for a cost effective holiday.

3. Re: 30th anniversary holiday

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 10:42
Get answers to your questions about Samoa
Recent Conversations