We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Confused but Excited

Gippsland, Australia
Level Contributor
25 posts
65 reviews
Save Topic
Confused but Excited

Well after months of trying to decide where to go we have finally decided on Samoa!! I am traveling with my husband and our two children ( 14 & 11 ) and I was after some advice on places to see stay and eat. I think that we will have at least 5 nights at Litia Sini Beach Resort but I am looking for other suggestions for the other 5 nights. Also any info on car hire and "must do's" would be appreciated. I suppose what I am looking for is the best of both worlds holiday ....resort, roughing it, cultural, but ulimately an experience that my kids will remember for years to come ( I don't want much do I ...lol) We are going at the end of June 2013 and have a fairly flexible budget.

Looking forward to any replys

kurrajong
Destination Expert
for Samoa
Level Contributor
835 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Confused but Excited

hi mandy

great holiday choice with kids ( or with out, either was samoa is a wonderful relazing holiday destintation, you will come home feeling so relaxed!)

we have holidayed with our boys and taken them over at similar ages and litia sinis is one of there favourites.

the beach is wonderful, and the fales are great we got them there own fale next to us, and they loved that!, other places they were in with us, also lovely family time!

while your at litis take them for sure to the ocean trench, and if you felt like going somewhere really nice for lunch then i would highly recommed going to seabreeze resort, ( my boys loved this place to stay as well!!) its near the ocean trench, also near a lovely beach - vavau.

i would say hire a car for sure, this is a wonderful way to explore the island.

a nice family resort is SaMoana ( its not that cheap though, but nice!)

in town i would say go to the sliding rocks, and if you wanted some nice souviners then there is plantation house, and the markets in town.

hope this gets you started

sue

Woolgoolga...
Destination Expert
for Apia, Samoa
Level Contributor
3,867 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Confused but Excited

Malo lava

Sue's right, Samoa is a fantastic place to take kids the age of yours and it's such a beautiful place with warm and funny people and so culturally unique none of you could fail to make it a truly memorable holiday.

Given that you have 10 days and want to divide your time I suggest you visit both islands and do Savaii first. It is the larger of both islands but less populated and quite different to Upolu in both scenery, culture and if possible is more laid back. If you decide to have your resort stay on Savaii you can't go past Savaii Lagoon Resort which has beautiful, huge bungalows situated a few steps from a lovely beach which is great for swimming, snorkeling, diving etc and they have a great glass bottom boat to explore the fantastic marine life out front in. The food and staff are also great. Alternatively have a look at Le Lagoto next door. They are both in the village of Fagamalo and make a great base to travel around the island and discover it's many wonders including swimming with the turtles, Taga Blowholes, the Dwarf Cave, rainforest canopy walk, Afu Aau Falls and the list goes on. The reason I say do Savaii first is purely for the convenience of getting your flight home as it can take most of the day to get back to the airport if you take the ferry across. If you have a flight that times in with the Air Samoa schedule from Savaii to the airport you could leave it till last.

Litia's is a great choice on Upolu and also a great base to get around. While you're there and if you want to see Samoa at it's most basic, you could plan a day trip to Namua Island. It's a short crossing but well worth it and the cheap fare includes a Samoan lunch, guided tour around the island and with a bit of luck some whale/dolphin spotting and turtles in the wild. On the trip around Upolu island you will spot many places you'll want to stop, just be aware that someone will probably appear from nowhere and ask you for a fee to stop where you are. Most land in Samoa, including beaches, is cultural land and owned by families in the villages and in some instances the fee they ask for using their land is their only form of income and goes towards the kids education, it's usually only 5-10 tala. A trip into Apia is also an experience you shouldn't miss. It's a small, busy city which has some great restaurants and cafes, souvenir and clothing shops and of course the markets are a must.

Also check out whether there is a Fia Fia night (a display of Samoan culture, song, dance, storytelling and food) on any of the nights you are at Litia's, if not there will be one somewhere nearby you can go to and it really is a wonderful experience.

It's normal practice to do a bit of "resort hopping" for a change of menu and scenery. Like Sue I'd recommend Seabreeze Resort, also Coconuts and Sinalei and for meals in Apia, Paddles, Gourmet Seafood and Grill, Rendezvous. Sails, Giordano's Pizza, The Curry House and Apia Yacht Club. Aggie Grey's also has a wonderful Fia Fia night on Wednesdays with an all you can eat buffet consisting of both traditional Samoan and Western food.

Car hire really is the best way to explore Samoa and if you take a car for the whole time you'll get a real bargain. Most car rental companies allow you to pick up and drop off at the airport. The most reputable are Samoana Car Rentals, Blue Pacific Car Hire, AA Rentals, Island Renta and Go Rentals.

For more info on accommodation and everything Samoan check out jasons.com/samoa and samoa-hotels.ws

I hope this helps, happy planning

Manuia le aso

Deb

Gippsland, Australia
Level Contributor
25 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Confused but Excited

Thanks for the info I will do a little more research. I was just wondering if we book the hire car directly or chance getting one at the airport. Also what is the weather like at the end of June?

Woolgoolga...
Destination Expert
for Apia, Samoa
Level Contributor
3,867 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Confused but Excited

Malo lava

I wouldn't risk getting a rental at the airport as it's high tourist season and rental companies are usually heavily booked, best to know you have secured it before you arrive.

June is dry season so mostly lovely, hot, sunny days and cooler evenings - perfect weather.

Deb

Gippsland, Australia
Level Contributor
25 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Confused but Excited

Thanks for the info I will do a little more research. I was just wondering if we book the hire car directly or chance getting one at the airport. Also what is the weather like at the end of June?

Gippsland, Australia
Level Contributor
25 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Confused but Excited

Thanks Deb for the advice on car hire ... Do you have contacts for car rentals so as we can book directly.... Thanks maria

Woolgoolga...
Destination Expert
for Apia, Samoa
Level Contributor
3,867 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Confused but Excited

You're welcome Maria

The best rental companies are Samoana Rentals (sales@samoana.ws), Blue Pacific Car Hire (sales@bluepacific.ws), AA Rentals (advauto@ipasifika.net), Go Rentals (sales@gorentals.ws) and Island Rento (islandrento@ipasifika.net)

Hope this helps, if you have more questions you know where to find us.

Manuia le aso (have a great day)

Deb

8. Re: Confused but Excited

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2013, 10:17