We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best insect repellent

Dunedin, New Zealand
Level Contributor
132 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Best insect repellent

Being extremely attractive to sandflys and the like ... I am keen to try out some recommended insect repellents that are tried and true !.. Heading to Samoa in July

kurrajong
Destination Expert
for Samoa
Level Contributor
837 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best insect repellent

I would get some with DEET ( high percentage)

hope you dont get too bothered by the bugs ( i have have had a huge problem)

enjoy your holiday

sue

Woolgoolga...
Destination Expert
for Apia, Samoa
Level Contributor
3,897 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best insect repellent

Malo lava

I take 300mg Vitamin B1 (Betamin) a day for medical reasons and no mozzies come within cooee of me. Apparently large doses of B1 exude a smell from your skin that mozzies hate. I've suggested it to others and it's worked and it can't do you any harm. It needs to build up in your body though so I'd start now if I were you. Cheaper as well than going through loads of DEET, although take some along just in case your the odd 1 out and the B1 doesn't work.

We stay in Samoa for 3-6 months every year, have done for close to 10 years and I have NEVER been bitten, they've landed on me but soon fly away.

Hope this helps

Deb

Dunedin, New Zealand
Level Contributor
132 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best insect repellent

Thanks for that Deb... actually come to think of it I may have heard about B1 before... Certainly sounds good. Will have a chat to my chemist. Thanks so much.

Woolgoolga...
Destination Expert
for Apia, Samoa
Level Contributor
3,897 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best insect repellent

You're welcome

I did have an afterthought though, although I haven't seen many sandflies in Samoa I doubt very much B1 will keep them away or any other insects, just seems to work with mozzies. My problem is flies, I loathe them but they love me, at least they don't bite though!!

Manuia le aso

Deb

Apia
Level Contributor
27 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best insect repellent

Mosquitoes can get really bad and even distract from having a good time so I think you're smart to ask.

A few suggestions:

Deet is good but also smells and isn't great for kids. You can get Bushman's up to 80%, Aeroguard Tropical at 19% and plenty of others.

Picardin also works but not as long. e.g. Aeroguard Odourless and Skintastic's 'Off'. In aerosol or pump.

I use Aerogaurd Tropical Strength when I'm out on a bushwalk and take a small roll-on in case I need a top up. Get a small roll-on and keep it in your pocket.

Day to day I use Aeroguard Odourless - it does the job short term (around 3 hours) and is as it says; odourless. Pretty important if you're eating and don't want the horrible smell the others have everytime you put your hand to your mouth.

Best way to apply is spray/roll/pump on, then rub it in to cover everywhere.

For your room - throw in one of those plug-ins from Moretein or Raid. Then you don't have to worry about repellent when sleeping or holes in your mosquito net.

Wishing you a 'slap free' holiday :)

Dunedin, New Zealand
Level Contributor
132 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best insect repellent

Great advice pandan.... You are quite correct in stating that it can distract. I can get quite distraught with them.. dont know what it is about me but I literally attract them !!... lucky for everyone around me I guess ! lol

Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
7,311 posts
429 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best insect repellent

I use the lowest concentration required for the siutation.

My top recommendation is to get some sawyers repellent for clothing. You spray it on your clothing and it bonds with the fabric, not your skin.I use it for all my clothes when I travel and not a bite! Worked a treat for us in Asia. Also get a low deet for during day. And use a higher deet concentration in an infested area. Deet is a strong chemical so don't overuse. Our family tried the Vitamin B tablets. Definitely trial before you go because we did and all found they made our stomachs quite queasy. Not something you want while you are away.

Remember wear light coloured clothing. The wrist bands are effective as well. However, we didn't find mosquitoes much of a problem in Samoa. Just be sensible.

I really recommend some fly spray and spray your room half hour before going to bed.

Woolgoolga...
Destination Expert
for Apia, Samoa
Level Contributor
3,897 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best insect repellent

Malo lava Poppy

What sort of B did you take, you may have been taking to much multi B it is only B1 that repels the mozzies and I've never heard of anyone else getting an upset tummy.

NZJen are you staying in fales or at a resort, if it's a resort you won't have any probs at night as long as you keep your fly screens closed. Fales - well take lots of protection.

Manuia le aso

Deb

Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
7,311 posts
429 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best insect repellent

Thanks Deb. We had the Pro-life anti-bite B1 each tablet contains 75mg Thaimine 1000mg odourless garlic and 50 mg Quercetin. Like I said we all felt queasy after having them, so stopped and were fine, and when we started again queasy again. We have a good balanced diet. The label on the container says that the nutrients build up over time, so you need to start two weeks before being exposed to sandflies.

However, my advice is to make sure you try and if you feel queasy like we did. Stop. But the B1 is not a recommended medical deterrent and to use other repellant if required. I still like the sawyers clothing repellant as it is the least evasive to the body as not spraying directly onto skin, or taking internally.

Woolgoolga...
Destination Expert
for Apia, Samoa
Level Contributor
3,897 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best insect repellent

Malo Poppy

I'd say it was probably the other ingredients that were making you feel queasy, also you need at least 300mg a day of B1 only for it to be effective against mozzies and it has to build up in your system for at least 6 weeks before being exposed. Although there is no medical advice/proof that it works several doctors I have spoken to have confirmed that they are aware of the benefits of using B1 as a repellant, although it is not a deterrent to other insects so if it's sandflies etc that people are worried about they do need a standard repellant.

I know wearing long sleeves and trousers can be a deterrent as well, especially if they clothing is sprayed but it's just not practical in the Samoan climate, for myself, I'd pass ot from heat exhaustion.

Anyway, it's a little trite debating over insect repellents. I suggest that NZJen take the B1 but also takes a good supply of repellant as well for other nasties.

Fortunately most travellers to Samoa don't come across their giant caterpillars, if you are bitten by one of them you'd wonder why you'd ever complained about mozzies, the dreadful pain from 1 bite lasts consistently for 4 hours then keeps recurring intermittently every day for about a month, fortunately they don't cause disease just extreme pain. One of the nastier creepy crawlies to be found in Samoa.

Manuia le aso

Deb