We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Packing Tips

Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
66 posts
80 reviews
Save Topic
Packing Tips

Hello everyone,

Just under a month now till we leave for Samoa and I was starting to get everything ready to pack. We are light packers in the way of clothes etc (kids are just taking their school bags - yes we are "that" light). We are only packing for 4 days worth. But what I wanted to know is if you went again, what would you take or not bother taking again.???

In the past after we holiday we always find we took stuff we didn't actually need, but thought we would have, or found we need stuff we didn't realise we would.

We are doing 9 nights on Savaii in a Fale and 11 nights in Apia in a 2 bed unit. With a family with 2 kids 8 and 9.

Cheers

Ky-Lee

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
103 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Packing Tips

Hi KHillery,

It's advisable that you make a list on what to pack a few days before travelling because in that case you would not miss on any essentials needed for the travel. Making a list also helps for you not to forget the things that you have brought so you might not end up leaving something important.

Some of these essentials are meds or first aid kit, camera, cellphone, hat, flip-flops, sunscreen lotion, towels, beachwear, sunglasses, light blanket, long-sleeves (there might be mosquitoes). And if you would like to go to church there in Samoa, you should also bring along white casual clothing to wear and sandals.

Happy Travels,

You Friend,

James @ BackpackerUniverse

kurrajong
Destination Expert
for Samoa
Level Contributor
835 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Packing Tips

other things i would pack are pegs ( for fales) otherwise your clothes will blow off the lines they have set up.

you can buy lava lava's over there and they are great to wear and they wash and dry so quickly.

i just bring a few singets as i wear mostly lava lava's!

sue

Woolgoolga...
Destination Expert
for Apia, Samoa
Level Contributor
3,783 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Packing Tips

Malo lava Ky-lee

Gee the time has gone fast since you started planning

All I can add to the above is insect repellant, although we are staggered as we've seen only about 3 mozzies since we arrived this trip, the drought could be a reason but I think we're getting a late Wet as rain overnight & today has flooded our front yard!!

You don't need whites for Sunday/church, just make sure you cover up a bit with a lavalava or skirt & blouse.

Hope you have a wonderful trip

Deb

Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
66 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Packing Tips

Yes, gone so fast, Now if it can just slow down a bit or our 21 day holiday will fly by too. Yes, I have all the basics under control. The kids are all packed (yes I am a weeks ahead pre-packer - life is too busy, so you need to pack when you have proper time to do so)

Considering we have just had enough of rain here on the Gold Coast I was hoping not to see a drop of rain while there (wishful thinking!!)

Clothes wise we are taking very little anyways, we are beachy people so are very happy just to be wearing a sarong and top. :-)

We will not be going to church as we are a non religious family, and whilst I would love to hear their singing I feel it is hypocritical to invade their spiritual time. However in saying that I have been told that even walking by the church you will hear the singing, so I plan on doing that :-). We do plan on wearing white on the Sundays out of respect for their culture.

The other tips that I have received from people are Toilet paper, small packet of baby wipes and when we get there buy a large bottle (4L) of drinking water to leave in the car so that we can refill our bottles on our day trips.

Counting down the days now !!

Ky-Lee

Samoa
Level Contributor
19 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Packing Tips

Don't forget some little torches - always handy when staying in fales. Also those small torches that you strap onto your head - seen a lot of tourists using those to read at night in the fales.

Singleton, Australia
Level Contributor
44 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Packing Tips

Would you suggest taking along citronella candles for the mozzies or do you think it isn't necessary???? I have this on my list to pack for our trip next month but I will happily cross it off as we are hoping to pack as light as we can.

7. Re: Packing Tips

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 April 2014, 07:18