We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Booking accommodation in advance?

Coolup, Western...
1 post
Save Topic
Booking accommodation in advance?

Hi guys,

My partner and I will be in Samoa for two weeks from the beginning of June. We have our first three nights of accommodation booked in Apia, but after this we have not organised anything.

I prefer not to set out an exact itinerary on where we are going and for how long as when I have done this before I have always ended up changing my mind.

If we want to book our accommodation as we go (we want to work our way around both islands) are we easily going to be able to find places to stay? We are not interested in staying in resorts of bigger hotels; we prefer simpler, budget accommodation.

Also, will we need to book a car to do this? We would prefer to use buses only, but from the posts I have read so far I am wondering if that will just be too difficult?

Wairoa, New Zealand
Level Contributor
550 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Booking accommodation in advance?

I stay budget and normally call a place 3-5 days in advance and dont have too many problems, I book for a few days and can generally extend it if i want.

i travel by Bus, the main thing to realise is the buses leave from the village early and travel to the market or ferry , then end the day before dusk at the village.

Ask when you book what is the best bus, where it leaves from and approx time.

the South coast of Upolu is a little confusing, no bus goes along the whole coast and sometimes its best to go back to Apia and catch another bus- 1 bus might go from Apia down richardson rd to lalomanu and back, another from apia down mafa pass to Lepa and back, Another down cross Island rd to salani and back, another down cross island rd to savaia and back....etc

Bit confusing till you get the hang of it, but really cheap and interesting, just a lot slower than driving yourself.

best people to ask for help are the accommodation owners and bus drivers, a lot of other 'helpful' people can often confuse you not being familar with other villages or buses.

maybe book your first 'fale' before you leave and say you are unsure how long you want to stay, then phone the next place from the first- you may have to go for slightly less well known places, ask other travellers and your fale owners as you go.

i'm sure you'll enjoy the fales and buses- just check your not going during NZ, or Oz school hols, they can get busy and you may need to book a few more places then.

Mentioned in this post
Upolu
Upolu
Samoa
2. Re: Booking accommodation in advance?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 May 2014, 05:18