We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cellphones in Samoa

Palmerston North...
Level Contributor
498 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
cellphones in Samoa

Hi everyone,

Just a few q's on cellphones in Samoa

1 - Are we better to use our NZ phone and set it up for overseas travel with our NZ sim card, or get a samoan sim.

2. what company are the sims with and where can we buy one?

3. do the sims work in I-Phones and does the sim provider let you use the internet on it (to upload pics onto facebook now and then)

4. what is the reception like in north-west savai'i and South coast Upolu ?

Main use for the phone:

To ring our fishing charter guy when we arrive in Apia

To upload pictures to facebook

To call NZ once or twice a week

To txt our Samoan friend who will be back in Samoa our second week there.

Regards

Jessica

Mentioned in this post
Upolu
Upolu
Samoa
Apia, Samoa
7 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: cellphones in Samoa

There are 2 Mobile operators in Samoa Bluesky (www.blueskysamoa.com) & Digicel (www.digicelsamoa.com)

Roaming from NZ (like anywhere) is more expensive than buying a local SIM which cost just $WST5/10.

If your calling back to NZ then Bluesky has the best deal "Talk for 5mins and get the next 55mins free" Calls to NZ cost around $NZ0.50-60c/min, so basically 1 hour of calling for less than $5.

Both networks are modern, utilise 3G for data and have great coverage so you want need to worry about loosing signal.

For iphones, you'll need to ask for the smaller sims, let them know which model you have so you get the correct size. And yes all SIMS have data enabled, though you may need to add an "APN" to your phone settings.

If your thinking of renting a car try nationalrentals.ws, they can also pre-organise your SIM and tell you the number before you leave NZ.

Dave

Palmerston North...
Level Contributor
498 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: cellphones in Samoa

Thanks dave, that was very helpful, i will look into them both tonight,

Jess

Sydney
Level Contributor
354 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: cellphones in Samoa

Hi Jess,

I posted a while back about an offer from digicel that gives travellers like us a free sim card when you show them your boarding pass at the airport when you arrive. I havent used it yet as I will not be travellling for another week but its an option I will be checking out.

On previous trips I have found bluesky to be better for phone internet services and weirdly enough the best service I had was on the ferry in the middle of the sea between Savaii and Upolu

But it was easier to find digicel credit around the island than it was to get bluesky credit.

I guess the bottom line is go with whichever service is easiest for you to get when you get off the plane.

Also more important than the sim card.... make sure your phone that you are taking with you is already UNLOCKED otherwise getting a Samoan sim is useless,

:-) L

Mentioned in this post
Upolu
Upolu
Samoa
4. Re: cellphones in Samoa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2014, 05:17