We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taking DF alcohol to Samoa from Australia via NZ

Woolgoolga...
Destination Expert
for Apia, Samoa
Level Contributor
4,089 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Taking DF alcohol to Samoa from Australia via NZ

Malo lava

After a couple of complaints, including from myself I'd like to advise Aussies travelling to Samoa via New Zealand that you cannot buy duty free alcohol in Australia and take it through Auckland International Airport, it will be confiscated. The NZ Customs Officials seem to be the only people aware of this saying someone at the DF section of the airport you depart from should have advised you.

Maybe if you show both boarding passes, ie Aust-NZ-Samoa you'll be told but I wouldn't risk it.

The length of your layover in NZ has no bearing on this, it applies if you have to hang around the transit lounge for hours or if you are going directly from one flight to the next.

Hope this helps some travellers from being ripped offer. Chances are you won't get your money back as the alcohol is no longer in your airport of departure.

Manuia le aso

Deb

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
18 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taking DF alcohol to Samoa from Australia via NZ

Deb sorry to hear you lost your booze! Your tip came just in the nick of time, would have spent up at Melb airport tomorrow morning otherwise - thanks!

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland Central
Level Contributor
15,175 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taking DF alcohol to Samoa from Australia via NZ

Hi Deb,

The same issue has arisen with transit passengers flying from Australia through Auckland and on to the Cook Islands. Alcohol and other liquids above the maximum allowed has been confiscated for some years now by transit security in Auckland. Our forum keeps reminding travellers of the NZ restrictions. It is so regrettable to hear of your fate if no prior warning was given.

Kia manuia.

Woolgoolga...
Destination Expert
for Apia, Samoa
Level Contributor
4,089 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taking DF alcohol to Samoa from Australia via NZ

You're most welcome Leah, glad I could save someone the hassle and aggravation, hopefully a few more people will read this post and be saved the bother and expense. Have a great trip.

Deb

Malo lava Frangipani

I've known since it commenced that liquids over 100mls had to go in check in luggage and under 100mls in a resealable plastic bag but in all the years I've been travelling, not just to Samoa I have never had DF alcohol confiscated in a transit lounge. This is the first time (and the very last) that we will go via NZ, not just because of the booze but the airport and it's lack of facilities for 7 hour layovers. We were not told or even asked at Faleolo of the rule which is why I commented that it seems NZ Customs are the only ones aware of this. I've spoken to several travellers this has happened to since Poly Blue became Virgin Samoa and direct flights are like finding a needle in a haystack. The onus not only lies with each country's customs officials but with the airline itself to keep passengers informed before the fact when it's too late. Signs in DF shops at individual airports would help as well.

From now on I will do as you do, remind passengers going via NZ from OZ of this senseless rule

Tai tele lava for the advice

Manuia fo'l

Deb

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
194 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taking DF alcohol to Samoa from Australia via NZ

Hi Deb,

As I said this morning, our Df alcohol was confiscated in NZ as well. We HAD shown our two boarding passes to the staff at DF Tullamarine Melbourne. The one entering NZ and the one exiting NZ for Samoa. The sales girl at Tullamarine said that it would be fine going through NZ airport "As long as you keep the bag sealed the way I have done it you will be fine to take it on to Samoa." HA HA HA found out that statement was incorrect. Glad to see you're doing something about it.

Sydney
Level Contributor
354 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Taking DF alcohol to Samoa from Australia via NZ

Hi All,

Its disappointing that you guys lost your DF it mustve been so frustrating. But i know that everytime I've gone thru DF here in Sydney the person serving me has always warned me about NZ customs and I've just assumed it was the same at other layover destinations. But as the others have said thanks for the timely reminder Deb.

Woolgoolga...
Destination Expert
for Apia, Samoa
Level Contributor
4,089 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Taking DF alcohol to Samoa from Australia via NZ

Hopefully the word gets out through this thread, it's the first time that I know of that it's come up but there's now been a few complaints. An email to separate airports would probably prove too insignificant to them but I suppose it's worth a try, I'll give it a go today.

Manuia le aso

Deb

Geelong
Level Contributor
11 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Taking DF alcohol to Samoa from Australia via NZ

Mmmm, glad I saw this post too, we are going next Sat and were planning on buying up in Tulla, is there anyway of buying it in Tullamarine and getting it in our checked in luggage, because im not sure with a 50 minute stop in Auckland, we will have time to buy anything there?? Also, on our return flight, overnight, we have a 5 hour stop in Aukland at 1am, (with Kids, aarrrggghhh), is it really that bad, and will there be NOTHING open? would there be somewhere the kids could lie down for a sleep and would there be anything open to buy food or drinks?

Woolgoolga...
Destination Expert
for Apia, Samoa
Level Contributor
4,089 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Taking DF alcohol to Samoa from Australia via NZ

Malo lava

If you get to Tulla check in and be are first in line they MIGHT forward it to your check in bags but that's a big might. They've done it at Faleolo in Samoa before with ornamental weapons, (which while I think of it I must put in the other thread), but that's a much smaller airport with less flights than Tulla.

If you know what you want then head straight for DF and get it in Auckland. As I've said before it's not far from gate to gate and they do wait for lagging passengers, your name will be called for all the world to hear if they have commenced boarding and you haven't appeared - they won't go without you unless you're more than 10-15 late at the gate. There are also a lot of delayed flights from Auckland.

We had a 7 hour stop over both ways in April, it is without a doubt one of the most boring airports In the world. Daytime is OK but night time is the pits. Except for DF there is nothing open at 1am, there are no vending machines for coffee, drinks and snacks, no wifi spots, not a thing until 5 am when the few cafes, newsagent, bars, etc start to open so you'll have an hour before your flight to get some much needed nourishment. I suggest you bring some snacks in from Samoa.

There are quite a few comfortable lounges in the transit lounge where the kids can have a sleep so hopefully that'll be OK, there's also a lot of space if they want to run around, play etc. When the shops do open go upstairs and to the first coffee shop on the right, they have the best coffee, breakfast and prices.

I hope you have a wonderful holiday in paradise before you get to Auckland, you may not feel the angst we did when it took us 48 hours to get to and from a country that is usually a 6 hour flight away (we live in rural northern NSW) if you're still on island time.

Sorry about the rant but Virgin have really stuffed things up with the cancellation of so many direct flights.

Manuia le aso

Deb

9. Re: Taking DF alcohol to Samoa from Australia via NZ

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 July 2014, 05:17