We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rent a car in samoa upolu

Melbourne, Australia
8 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Rent a car in samoa upolu

Hi I am 23 years of age and I currently live in melbourne Australia and currently on my green Ps,

I will be leaving to go to samoa for 3 weeks in December, and I am interested in looking to hire a car there for just a week.

1)I'm asking is it possible for me to hire a car in a foreign country even if I'm not yet full licensed?

kurrajong
Destination Expert
for Samoa
Level Contributor
840 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rent a car in samoa upolu

hi randa,

do you mean you are on your P licence ? i think you still can but chargers could be hired ( especially excess chargers if car was damaged, i would email a few places, ) wait for deb's suggestions on the current most recommended places.

If it turns out you can hire the car i would highly suggest you take out travel insurance , with car insurance excess chargers, just in case!, i would also suggest when hiring the car when you pick it up please do a very through check when they go through the paperwork to show dents etc as samoans can be very laid back but not when it comes to car rental , and ive noticed some try to get the excess chargers out of you and blame previous scratchers on you, also wouldn't hurt walking around car with a video.

hope this helps

sue

Woolgoolga...
Destination Expert
for Apia, Samoa
Level Contributor
3,998 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rent a car in samoa upolu

Malo lava Randa T

I'm really not sure whether you can hire a car without a full licence. I don't think the rental companies would know the difference between any coloured licence from Australia, they just ask to see a valid licence. Check out one just in case they do.

The most reputable companies are Samoana, Blue Pacific Car Hire, Island Rento, Go Rentals and AA Car Hire. You'll probably get the best deal from Samoana.

Agree with Sue about insurance.

Hope this helps

Deb

Sydney
Level Contributor
447 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rent a car in samoa upolu

Randall T

I have just copied below an extract from Blue Pacific Car Rental site. There are only restrictions on learner and restricted. It doesn't say anything about a provisional licence so I think you would be ok. You will need to pay excess due to your age. Agree with Sue and Deb it is cheaper to take out travel insurance that covers car rental insurance excess rather than paying a higher premium to the car rental company. I would email them just to be sure about provisional licence. It is better to find out now rather than be disappointed when you arrive.

"Insurance Excess

All drivers have to be 21 years and over to be able to hire a vehicle from Blue Pacific Car Hire. For driver(s) between the age of 21 - 25 years, the Insurance Excess is SAT$2500.00!

Driver(s) from the age of 25 years and over, the Insurance Excess is SAT$2000.00 only!

Please note that the Insurance Excess is to be paid to Blue Pacific Car Hire before leaving Samoa, if the vehicle is involved in any kind of accident.

We do have on offer two insurance options to reduce the Excess down to SAT$400.00.

For more information on these, please contact us or ask about it when hiring a car.

Drivers Licence

All international and overseas VALID drivers license are accepted in Samoa, EXCEPT “Learner” and “Restricted” Driver License. Those you are holders of a “Learner” or “Restricted” Driver License are unable to drive in Samoa by Law. Please note that you have to purchase a "Samoan Temporal License" at SAT$20.00 per license which we are able to issue on delivery of the rental car."

Melbourne, Australia
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Rent a car in samoa upolu

Sasa73, Deb & Lin & Les,

Thank you for your time and effort in going all out to find the information I needed to know, I am muchly appreciated and wowed by the info that has been brought forward to me.

@lin&les I believe restricted is the same as provisional license?

I mean I'll be leaving on the 6th dec but I'll be full license by the 11th dec, while I'm over there..

@deb does it really matter about the colour of the license? Will the see the difference? Do they examine the license lol

When paying insurance excess charge, do you pay that before you take the vehicle or....?

Sorry guys I am only a young traveller and this is my first time leaving the country on my own

Melbourne, Australia
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Rent a car in samoa upolu

And how do I go about hiring a rental, I've never done anything like this before..

Is it possible that I will have an accident there in samoa?

Woolgoolga...
Destination Expert
for Apia, Samoa
Level Contributor
3,998 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rent a car in samoa upolu

Malo Randa

I think you're right in saying that 'restricted' and 'provisional' are the same thing, here in Australia anyway.

It's a very long time since I was on my Ps (in fact when licences were made of paper!!) so I don't know what a P licence says or what colour it is. When I talk about colour I mean as you hold a full licence for longer it can change colour according to your driving record. eg gold if you have never incurred any penalties etc.

Having thought about, the fact that you only need to be over 21 and if your licence doesn't say 'Restricted' you should be OK.

You can book a car online via the rental company's website and they will have the car to meet you at the airport or if you prefer to have a few days to settle in they can deliver it to your accommodation. Being December and low tourist season you shouldn't have problems with availability so you can always organise it when you're there. Ring the company direct or book through reception at your hotel. Whereabouts are you staying?

Hopefully someone will be able to answer your question re insurance, I've never had to pay it but I would think it's up front.

Manuia le aso

Deb

Melbourne, Australia
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Rent a car in samoa upolu

Hi deb,

It's always great to hear from you, as your answers are just amazing.

I am staying with a friend and with her family up in samoa in lefaga tafagamanu and then the second week going on to salesatele and then back again and also going out to see my dads family in manunu. In saying that I am half samoan and half Maori.

Well for me Ps I am on a red strip and it does say probationary driver license, will that click on to them that it could be a "restricted" license?

In getting travel insurance, what is it that you could be covered for when hiring a rental? I've looked into it and I know what will be covered I just don't understand like what is the rental insurance for exactly?

Thank you for your time and effort in answering all my questions.

Randa

Woolgoolga...
Destination Expert
for Apia, Samoa
Level Contributor
3,998 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rent a car in samoa upolu

Happy to help Randa.

I'm really not sure about the whole P thing. I'll email the LTA (Lands and Transport Authority) and see if I can get clarification from them, I'll let you know IF/when I get a response. You might like to ask a family member if they could contact the LTA as well. There is obviously a difference between 'Provisional' and 'Restricted' though as you are only basically restricted as far as speed limits.

I'll also see if I can glean some info from Samoana Rentals who are normally pretty prompt with responses.

Different travel insurance providers cover different things. I always use iTrek as they are the cheapest so perhaps go to their site and check out their specifics or alternatively email then.

When I find out more I'll let you know.

Melbourne, Australia
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Rent a car in samoa upolu

Thank you deb for the help and answers, I do appreciate it a heap.

I will look into itrek for travel insurance, and also contact the LTA and see what information I can get as well. I didn't know you could go as far as contacting them in finding the information that I need to know.

Thanks once again deb, hope to hear from you soon and see what information you come up with.

Sydney
Level Contributor
447 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rent a car in samoa upolu

Randa T

I hope this helps regarding excess car rental insurance.

Rental Vehicle Insurance excess is cover you can take out to cover you from paying the excess in the event of having an accident whilst renting a vehicle. Excess amounts vary upon rental companies and also vary depending on your age. Rental companies will usually allow you to reduce the amount of excess by paying a fee up front. You do not have to take out the excess insurance but if anything happens you will have to pay the excess. Usually rental companies take an imprint of your credit card and in the event of an accident they will deduct the amount off the card when you return the vehicle.

Most travel policies include rental vehicle insurance excess cover within their policy. So if you renting a car overseas it is usually cheaper to make sure rental insurance excess cover is included in your travel insurance. I use QBE travel and pay no extra for the inclusion of rental insurance excess for cover up to $5,000. However you do need to check out individual policies as they do vary.

In regards to the clarification of provisional and restricted licence I think it would be wise to see what Deb comes up with from the authorities. Hope it is good news for you.

Get answers to your questions about Samoa
Recent Conversations