We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Budget trip.. looking for accommodation and advice

Angourie, Australia
5 posts
Save Topic
Budget trip.. looking for accommodation and advice

Hello, in April planning to go to samoa and see both savai'i and upolu for a surf trip, I'm looking for the cheapest accommodation possible, fales look awsome but 110 tala is stretching our budget a little and is family stay an option in samoa?, there is two of us and we will sleep in a tent if need be, so in saying that are there any places to camp. To get around both islands what is the cheapest transport? And what can you hire at 17 years of age, for what price.. In. Samoa what is the food pricing like.. Looking for any bit of advice.. :)

Kawerau, New Zealand
Level Contributor
492 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Budget trip.. looking for accommodation and advice

There are quite a few fales in the 50- 60 tala range -per person.that normally includes 1-3 meals a day and is good value.you cannot camp without permission from the land owners - which is often a collective thing and whom it would only be polite to pay, so it can get complicated to camp and since budget fales are everywhere and cheap and the norm best to go with them.

You would like Joelans at Lano Savaii, 50 tala pp including 3 meals good beach friendly , young crowd.katherines at Safotu near Manase is also 50 pp with two meals. - nice beach, not many customers as not very well known. Vaiula at Tafatafa beach will be your favourite place, great owners,a surf guy- nug, owns a cool bar there, 60 tala including 2 meals and nug let's you use his bar to make noodles, toasted sandwhiches etc.

Lupes next to coconuts , near Maninoa surf camp is only 50 tala pp and you can buy meals seperate or get 3 meals for 100 tala from their restaurant.

If you can find it have a look at my facebook page from last year- called Aba Samoa , I visited lots of little and cheap fales and took photos and added a bit of info or check out the website I have nearly finished call Budgetaccommodationsamoa.com there are a lot of un advertised basic fale along the saleapaga- lalomanu beaches that are only 50 tala anight pp.

the website helps to understand the bus system too. once you get the hang of it buses are a very cheap option, 10 tala for a trip half way around either island , just pick your less crowded buses or get on them way before departure time from the market if you have surf boards because there isnt much storage space- they may charge you a little extra if you have a lot of stuff.

definitely contact nug at vaiula he will be very helpful with info and is very good value.

lynns getaway in apia is good value at just over 100 tala a double with a great breakfast and they will store stuff for free, if you ever want to leave some stuff and travel to some places unencumbered.

Edited: 05 January 2014, 18:36
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
165 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Budget trip.. looking for accommodation and advice

Hi Savannah,

We had a surf/snorkel holiday last June and stayed at Coconuts which as Amy's mum says is next door to Lupes Bar/restaurant. The food and drinks there are very cheap. Coconuts is on one side of Lupes and Maninoa Surf Fales are on the other side. The fales are very basic with a communal bathroom area. The surf is sometimes pretty much right out the front of Maninoa surf fales. If you stay at the Maninoa surf fales you have the use of a surf guide and boat that usually goes out twice a day depending on the surf conditions. Google the Maninoa surf fales and you'll find loads of info and photos.

The local bus route is only a few metres walk out to the main coast road from the Maninoa surf fales.

Hope this helps!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
165 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Budget trip.. looking for accommodation and advice

Might have confused you a bit, sorry. The food and drinks at Lupes are cheap - not at Coconuts!

Sorry!!

Angourie, Australia
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Budget trip.. looking for accommodation and advice

Thank you so much, this is extreamaly helpful!!

Angourie, Australia
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Budget trip.. looking for accommodation and advice

Thank you so much for everyone help :) Another question, to get out to the surf breaks must it be by boat or paddle distance? And can you hire any motor bikes or bikes?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
165 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Budget trip.. looking for accommodation and advice

Hi Savannah,

You can paddle out from Maninoa Beach fales but as i said the surf's only on sometimes out the front. The cost for the boat and guide that takes you out to other breaks from Maninoa fales is part of your accommodation cost. Sorry we don't know much about the actual surf guide.

We used the surf guide from Manoa Tours Samoa (Neil) who is based at Coconuts resort, he's originally from Hawaii and has been living in Samoa for almost 15 years. His cost is on top of any accommodation costs whether you stay at Coconuts, Sinalei or Maninoa Beach Fales.

If I can be of any more help just ask. Sorry can't help with any surf info at Savaii as we didn't get to stay there.

Angourie, Australia
5 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Budget trip.. looking for accommodation and advice

No that's really helpful thank you again..what do you know about hiring transport please :)

Woolgoolga...
Destination Expert
for Apia, Samoa
Level Contributor
3,782 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Budget trip.. looking for accommodation and advice

Malo lava Savannah

I don't have much more to add except if you want shore breaks and don't want to surf of the reef you're best off going to Savaii. Joelan's and Janes at Lanos Beach are great and within your price range. There's also Satuiatua Beach Fale at Satuiatua and Anganoa Surf Retreat. from where Savaii Surfari's run out of, email the guys there and they'll be able to point you in the right direction.

You cannot get a temporary Samoan drivvers licence if you are under 25 so you best bet is buses or tagging along with like minded surfers,.

Manuia le aso

Deb

Kawerau, New Zealand
Level Contributor
492 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Budget trip.. looking for accommodation and advice

Definitely get in touch with nug at Vaiula at Tafatafa beach,south Upolu if you are a surfer on a budget.he is very knowledgeable and takes out surfers at a low cost nuggardiner@gmail.com or through the Vaiula website.

I have seen people go out from the beach at a point within walking distance from Joelans at Lano on Savaii - the surf wasnt big and I don't know how satisfactory it was as I'm not a surfer.

I met people who stayed at Satuiatua - west coast Savaii on a surfing trip (they said Aganoa surf fales were too expensive) but they had a van to get around, not sure how easy it is from Satuiatua without transport, but email satuiatua beach resort, if the daughter is still there she will be very helpful sbresort@ipasifika.net or on face book

Scooters arent really an option, the odd company starts but I don't think anything is happening, bikes are available from outdoor.co.nz at the airport lodge.

If there are a few of you taxis will be an option, but buses are cheap and fine once you get the hang of them

Angourie, Australia
5 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Budget trip.. looking for accommodation and advice

Thank you thank you thank you so greatfull for all the help, much appreciated :)