We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do I need to book a ferry

Auckland Region...
Level Contributor
13 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Do I need to book a ferry

Hi there, after much research and subsequent booking it now transpires that flights between Upolu and Savai'i have been suspended (well in July anyway). Chris from Samoan Airways says they may introduce a charter. In the the meantime should I look into making ferry reservations, we need to travel on a Sunday so not sure how many sailings if any there are. Would really value some advice as we have two small children travelling with us. Thank you

Kawerau, New Zealand
Level Contributor
492 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do I need to book a ferry

There is only a 12 noon & 4pm ferry from Malifanua on sunday (and 10&2 from Salelologa)

I try not to travel on a Sunday ,( other transport ,buses & taxis are limited then too) so am not sure how busy they are.i find fri pm,sat morn and early Monday morning quite busy with people coming to and from work & villages for the weekend but asa a walk on passenger have always got on

If you have a vehicle it would be important to book .if you are walking and you want to book you will have to go first class- or whatever the more expensive area is called.do that through samoashipping.

Woolgoolga...
Destination Expert
for Apia, Samoa
Level Contributor
3,867 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do I need to book a ferry

It can get quite busy on the ferries on a Sunday. As amysmum says, if you are taking a car it is mandatory to have a booking and this must be done at least 48 hours prior to sailing and then you have to be at the wharf at least 1 hour (preferably 90 mins) prior. Both car passage and business class can be booked through samoashipping.com

If you are going as a foot passenger it is wise to get there at least an hour before to avoid the rush at the ticket kiosk.

Sydney
Level Contributor
350 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Do I need to book a ferry

Hi guys,

I haven't had any luck with the shipping site since December. I have used it before to make a pre booking and it was fine. But tried it in december and just two weeks ago and I am still waiting for a reply.

So as a heads up, you may have to just call their office.I ended up getting someone I know to go into the office for me, but we can't all do that...

Good luck,

L.

Auckland
Level Contributor
148 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Do I need to book a ferry

Hi RicesNZ,

If you are a foot passenger, i recommend that you watch what the Samoans do when waiting for the ferry to arrive. If you see them move to queue up, I suggest that you immediately do the same. Many tourists have been left behind on busy days, purely because the ferry has taken its quota of passengers and the tourists have left it too late to queue. Samoans tend not to observe the courtesies of polite queuing so you need to hold your space.

If you are not receiving a reply to your emails to book a vehicle, and if you do not have anyone in Samoa to make the booking for you. it would be worthwhile to ring the shipping company directly

Happy travelling.

5. Re: Do I need to book a ferry

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 March 2015, 05:18