We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Credit card details

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Topic
Credit card details

I know they say you should never email your credit card details but much of the accommodation we are staying at ask me to email credit card details. Is the any other way to secure a booking? Has anyone had any experience with this?

Sydney
Level Contributor
344 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Credit card details

Hi

You could always call your accom provider direct and give them your details that way if you dont want to send it through email. You'll find the same situation with car hire places as well. I haven't had any issues with email but my preference is to call direct.

:-)

L.

Woolgoolga...
Destination Expert
for Apia, Samoa
Level Contributor
3,782 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Credit card details

I agree with L and I've not heard of anyone else having problems. For your own peace of mind though it might be best to ring.

kurrajong
Destination Expert
for Samoa
Level Contributor
835 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Credit card details

I've done it all the time for the past 8 years and never had a problem ( touch wood )

Although good idea to call ! I might start doing that

Sue

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Credit card details

I have checked their website and they have a contact page that uses ' captcha', so I thought I could do it this way, but I think phoning is the best. Thanks everyone for the advice.

Kawerau, New Zealand
Level Contributor
492 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Credit card details

I owned a budget accommodation for many years and when I signed up with the bank to use credit cards as guarantee for bookings I signed an agreement that stated I was liable if myself or any staff used the card numbers I received fraudulently - I imagine things are still much the same.

of course there is always the chance some one will make a mistake so I follow a few guidelines when booking. Ask for confirmation of the booking and any payment taken, print it off and take it with me.

I have 2 credit cards- one I deliberately keep a very low limit on and I use this to make all travel bookings, deposits, guarantees etc this way I figure any damage would be minimal if something did go wrong.

I have used my credit card on the internet for many years for bookings and purchases without any problems, the main problem I see mentioned by people is being charged twice - normally accidentally so I always take proof with me and confirm when booking in that we both agree.

6. Re: Credit card details

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 April 2015, 05:16