We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Markets?

Canberra, Australia
1 post
Save Topic
Markets?

Just wondering what the local markets are like. Are they a crime hotspot? Or perhaps the food stalls are perhaps more of a hotel for germs?

All in all i'm wondering if they are safe and enjoyable?

3 replies to this topic
Lismore, Australia
Level Contributor
200 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Markets?

Any cooked food is kept safely at the main market in Honiara - it is pretty strongly regulated these days. It is generallt onl available at the stalls around the perimeter. There are other food stalls - use the ones the locals use. I hae never had tummy bugs from cooked food, bought where the locals buy it. Only from Honiara tap water, which is not safe to drink, unlessit has been boiled. Do be careful with personal possssions, though, as there are pickpockets. The market can be very crowded, particularly Saturday mornings, and around closing time daily, when people are bying fresh food to take home for dinner.

The Fishing Village (along the highway at Kukum) is open Sundays when the main market is closed. There are other smaller markets in the suburbs.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1 post
147 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Markets?

Hi Feresto.

The main market in Central Honiara is buzzing Saturday mornings and as AussieGiraffe mentioned can be prone to some pick pocketing, although I haven't met anybody that has been targeted. The clothes are typically second hand and you will struggle to find anything quintessentially Solomon Islander. There are wood carvings that are legitimate and if you are in town on the last Sunday of the month, there is Art in the Park which has some carvings, paintings and other miscellaneous stuff from the provinces. Alternatively, there are some hand woven bags and other niknaks for sale daily outside of the Breakwater Cafe. These are generally expensive.

Depending on where you are staying, I can recommend you buy some of the big mangrove crabs from Central Market. They cost about $100SBD and are wrapped in leaves but if you like shell fish and have cooking facilities you'll be in heaven!

For other seafood there is a 7th Day Adventist market with fruit and vegetables that packs out on Sundays after their Sabbath Day, but you won't find anything other than fruit, vegetables and fish.

Honiara, Solomon...
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Markets?

Honiara markets provide colourful products (from vegetables to sea foods)...In our local markets, they have fresh caught seafoods like fish, lobsters, and organic and fresh fruits and vegetables- which I believe is expensive in other places, but very cheap in our local markets.

Honiara markets maybe of pickpocket concerns, but many rural markets you can be safer just like other good places in other parts of the world.... in Marau Sound local market, definitely you will love to meet the people and buying their fresh fruits, vegetables, and seafoods straight from the reefs into the pot for serving.

Edited: 22 May 2014, 06:12
Reply to: Markets?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Honiara
More Honiara Topics