We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Booking whale watching tour in Vava'u

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Booking whale watching tour in Vava'u

Hi,

How hard is it to book a tour once you arrive on the island?

Like most trips when overseas, is it cheaper to book when your there?

Hamilton, New...
Level Contributor
101 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Booking whale watching tour in Vava'u

Just arrived back from that place. There are many choices of whale watchin. Any accom will do it for you or just go to the water front in town and enquire. Dont prebook with your agent. The price has just gone up this last weekend to about $250 . A bit on the steep as last week it was only $120. My first day out not a sign and German lady got rushed to hospital with possible sting from jelly, looked horrible, chest and ab pains , though she would not make it. That night she returned to resort in much better shape. Same spot the next day another woman got stung and woosh off to hospital Quite a long distance away even by fast boat.Something strange in that water spot . I did not feel comfortable snokeling there. Second day sightings and one very happy chappy lepped out of the sea next to us at least 30 times . OOOOOOOOOh

USA
10 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Booking whale watching tour in Vava'u

I would suggest you book it prior to arrival.. August is normally booked for most operators as it's the busiest months. If you are visitng after August, then you don't need to book prior to arriving.

The cost is T$220 per person. The T$120 was only an exploratory rate offered to see if the whales have made it to Tonga. They are definitely in the waters now.

You can take your chance and go there w/o booking. All accommodation will try to find you an operator with availability.

Have fun!

USA
10 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Booking whale watching tour in Vava'u

sorry cost is T$250.. not $220 as in my previous post!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Booking whale watching tour in Vava'u

do you think the first two weeks of september is too late to go to see the whales?

thanks for replying to the first post

5. Re: Booking whale watching tour in Vava'u

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 September 2009, 00:16
Get answers to your questions about Tonga
Recent Conversations