We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Holiday in Tonga

Coventry, United...
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Holiday in Tonga

Hi

We are planning to visit Tonga in January 2014 for 10 nights and we were wondering if anybody has any recommendations for accommodation? We are currently looking at a few resorts Ha'atafu, Fafa Island, Sandy Beach, Serenity , Mystic Sands to name a few

We will have just spent 4 weeks travelling around NZ so are basically looking for a great beach to relax on with a book , with fresh seafood washed down by a cold beer in the evening.

We are looking to fly into Nuku´alofa but on the dates we had in mind we don't get in until 16:30- is this too late for transfers to the Islands or would you suggest going a day later and arriving at 8am?

Any help would be very much appreciated

Kind regards

Claire

Ballina, Australia
Level Contributor
939 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Holiday in Tonga

Hi Claire, if I were you I'd leave it until the next day. Airport hotels aren't that great in Tonga in my opinion. Of the resorts you've mentioned we've stayed at Fafa and Sandy Beach. If I had to choose one it would probably be Fafa, but with 9/10 days you could consider both. Sandy Beach has the better beach but only just. Fafa has better dining and I liked their fales with your own private garden(although Sandy Beach does do lobster every other day!). And at Sandy Beach you do have another dining option in Matafonua Lodge, they do great burgers for lunch and the crew that run it are really friendly. Whichever way you go I know you will enjoy Tonga!

Vientiane, Laos
Destination Expert
for Vientiane
Level Contributor
3,287 posts
279 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Holiday in Tonga

Matafonua lodge just round the corner from Sandy Beach on Foa Is., Ha'apai is very nice and has a fantastic deep beach. The restaurant overlooks it.

www.matafonua.com

1630 is too late to get to Haapai - its a 50 minute flight and presently leaves at about 2pm. If I was you I would go into Nukualofa for the night and have a meal & visit the "Reload" bar in town. You could look round the market the next morning and leave back to the airport at lunchtime.

3. Re: Holiday in Tonga

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 May 2014, 07:18
Get answers to your questions about Tonga
Recent Conversations