We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seas Snakes and Snorkelling

brisbane
Level Contributor
22 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Seas Snakes and Snorkelling

I know this will be a really stupid question - but I'm not that keen on sea snakes and wondering if they are hanging around Ha'apai Island (sandy beach resort) and Vava'u Island (Reef resort). We will be traveling Sept/Oct 2014 with 2 teenage boys. thanks. elizabeth

Ballina, Australia
Level Contributor
939 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Seas Snakes and Snorkelling

Hi amarina, you have more chance of coming across a snake in your backyard in Brisbane. BTW, you have chosen well

brisbane
Level Contributor
22 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Seas Snakes and Snorkelling

Glenn, thanks so much for your response. Mind put to ease now. Very excited about the trip and where we are staying.

Ballina, Australia
Level Contributor
939 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Seas Snakes and Snorkelling

Hi Elizabeth, the general rule of thumb when snorkelling on coral is don't touch anything, thereby the likelihood of being bitten is negligible. Being from Brissie, you are probably aware of that anyway. Enjoy your trip

Vientiane, Laos
Destination Expert
for Vientiane
Level Contributor
3,249 posts
277 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Seas Snakes and Snorkelling

I had a week diving in Haapai and didn't see a single sea snake - they are far more common over west around Vanuatu/Solomons/PNG. They are very timid creatures and cant open their mouths wide enough to bite a human anyway - so no problems snorkelling.

Sydney
Level Contributor
137 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Seas Snakes and Snorkelling

We saw numerous sea snakes snorkelling in Niue. We were nervous at first, then found out about their limited jaw size, as bluecramp notes in post above. After this we had a great time observing these graceful creatures. So if you do see any in Tonga Amarina, just enjoy! Hope that you have a great time in Tonga, on my "to do" list, hence my travel forum lurking!

brisbane
Level Contributor
22 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Seas Snakes and Snorkelling

Bluecramp, thank you for that information.

brisbane
Level Contributor
22 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Seas Snakes and Snorkelling

SampsonSarah - thanks for that information and I have lurking for a while before making the decision about Tonga. Very excited about and looking at other south pacific islands for next time.

Kona
Level Contributor
2,498 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Seas Snakes and Snorkelling

Yes, there are sea snakes in Tonga (and everywhere else in the Pacific islands) and no, you are very unlikely to be attacked by one.

9. Re: Seas Snakes and Snorkelling

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 September 2014, 06:20