We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tips for backpacker travel to Tonga

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
9 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Tips for backpacker travel to Tonga

Hi

Am travelling to Tonga First week of Jan 2014. Planning a couple of days around town in Nakualofa and then Ha'pai. Looking for some tips

- Good backpacker places. I understand some hotels like Motutapu in Ha'pai are not that really expensive?

- Are there big crowds in the jan first week?....wil like to avoid if thats the case. from my research tonga seems on the beaten path

- some options for vegetarians? Not sure if I am gonna get much hits on this..

Kona
Level Contributor
2,478 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tips for backpacker travel to Tonga

There are never, ever, big crowds in Tonga, so no worries there.

The best local-style bets for vegetarians are the wonderful array of root vegetables (taro, sweet potato, yams) that are abundantly available, along with the ever-present papayas and bananas. Taro leaf and coconut milk is another staple. You won't find many, if any, restaurants that cater to vegetarians, but you'll have no problem getting enough to eat.

And on Sunday late afternoon, every corner store has fresh hot bread - the traditional Sunday evening snack after the big traditional meal, cooked in the umu, earlier in the day.

In terms of Ha'apai accommodations, I'm not familiar with Motutapu, sorry. Back in the day when I used to travel around Tonga backpacker-style, I used to stay at the Government Rest House, which doesn't exist any more, I don't think. In the 70s it was about $8/night.

One back-packer style beach place, and a real cultural experience with a Tongan family, is 'Esi O Ma'afu on Uiha. Singles there go for around $25. And there's Taiana's resort on Uoleva, fales on a gorgeous beach, also a Tongan family experience at around $30/night.

If you want to stay right in Pangai, Evaloni's Guest House has clean rooms for about $25. And there's There's Fifita's Guest House, very basic, around $35/night for singles, I think. Another in-town backpacker place is Lindsay's Guest House, also around $35. These are just price estimates to give you an idea - there are really quite a few budget options if you're OK with cold water showers and very basic amenities.

Edited: 11 November 2013, 06:47
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
9 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tips for backpacker travel to Tonga

Thanks for thr tips wahineokewaa. I gots mixed up when i meant to type Matafonua in Haapai. Bad mix up!

Anyways, wondering if its worthwhile to spend a few nights there as it is on the main island..

Thanks again for the foodie tips

Ballina, Australia
Level Contributor
939 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tips for backpacker travel to Tonga

Matafonua is $140 per night for two people (including breakfast). It's a magical spot though

4. Re: Tips for backpacker travel to Tonga

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 November 2014, 05:16