We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Money - best exchange rate

Which Nuku'alofa hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
6 posts
Save Topic
Money - best exchange rate

Dear All,

Was wondering what others thought is the best way to exchange money in Tonga.

Is it possible to send money to myself via Western Union (or a money transfer service) and then withdraw the money when we arrive in Tonga, or do I just exchange AUD when we arrive in Tonga or use an ATM at the Bank.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Ballina, Australia
Level Contributor
939 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Money - best exchange rate

We exchanged a sum before we arrived in Tonga and then used ATMs. I suppose it depends on how long you're going for and how much money you want to carry.Western Union is pretty big in Tonga but I'd check with them first before sending money to yourself

Sydney, Australia
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Money - best exchange rate

Thank you

Vientiane, Laos
Destination Expert
for Vientiane
Level Contributor
3,135 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Money - best exchange rate

WU is expensive.

Better to take AUD and change it at the ANZ or Westpac.

If you're staying a while, you can open an account at ANZand use a local ATM card - avoiding international ATM charges.

Sydney, Australia
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Money - best exchange rate

Thank you kindly.

Kona
Level Contributor
2,352 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Money - best exchange rate

The ATM rates and convenience make that the best bet for exchange in Tonga. Anything else can involve VERY long lines and wait times.

Melbourne AUST
Level Contributor
2 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Money - best exchange rate

I withdrew $200 in Nuka'alofa from the ANZ ATM last night. Charged $10 in fees

Vientiane, Laos
Destination Expert
for Vientiane
Level Contributor
3,135 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Money - best exchange rate

Maia #6 - yes, plus a $5 "overseas ATM fee" on your statement when you get back to Aus, plus an exchange rate used that is 4% in their favour. Using overseas ATMs is convenient but expensive.

Edited: 11 June 2013, 10:03
Auckland Region...
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Money - best exchange rate

Would I be best to get Tongan money in NZ before getting there as we are on a cruise and only stopping for two days but want to do the activities

LA County
Level Contributor
182 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Money - best exchange rate

I exchanged some us funds at Wells Fargo in the States then some more at the airport exchange place. Slightly better rate at the airport. But neither rate was very good!

My credit card has no conversion fees but still their rate was not the best but better than changing cash.

It was interesting to note that my credit card gave a worse rate for Tongan-US funds than it gave for NZ-US funds. (same thing happened w/ Wells Fargo and my cash exchanges)!

Raglan, New Zealand
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Money - best exchange rate

Yes I have used Western Union and collected the money in Tonga, best exchange rate and reliable ( dion't use the banks)

Get answers to your questions about Nuku'alofa