We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just Got Back - Breakas / White Grass / Erakor Island!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,799 posts
213 reviews
Save Topic
Just Got Back - Breakas / White Grass / Erakor Island!

Hello all,

We just got back from a week in Vanuatu. A week is NOT enough! We stayed at Breakas Beach resort (absolutly beautiful), White Grass on Tanna (spectacular and the volcano is unmissable!), and Erakor Island (the most relaxing wind down). We visited Hideaway Island which had some good snorkelling, and also took a helicopter ride around the island from Vila that was amazing!

Tanna was fantastic not just for the volcano, but the snorkelling! It was the best by far. The variety of fish and corals, as well as different reefs to choose from, and green turtles, surpassed even the Great Barrier for me. The Custom Village visit was another highlight (the visits on the way to the volcano are not really visits...).

And last stop Erakor. We fell in love with it the moment we arrived. Huge bungalows, lovely gardens and the restautrant with a great (and large) menu! Snorkelling of the little beach in front of the bungalows was OK - some soft corals, star fish and heaps of fish - but if you're a good swimmer, get out to the end of the island to the drop off at low or incoming tide for some awsome snorkelling - heaps of fish and the drop off is mind blowing!

I am writing up reviews in the Hotels section on these places and uploading a few photos too, so stay tuned!

In the meantime, any questions are welcome.

Finally, thank you to all contributors to this forum. Without your information, our trip would not have been so wonderful.

- k

NSW Australia
Level Contributor
42 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just Got Back - Breakas / White Grass / Erakor Island!

Hi K, welcome back :)

No, a week is NOT enough!

Sounds like you're gonna be a vanuatu addict like me. Only 39 sleeps until my 2nd vanuatu trip this year, this time it's going to be a month and I can't wait!!

Glad u enjoyed Breakas and Whitegrass, they are very special. I'm taking my husband there for his first ever overseas trip.

May as well start planning your next visit (LOL), so many islands to visit, so much more to see and do .....

Jo

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,799 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just Got Back - Breakas / White Grass / Erakor Island!

Hi Jo,

We visited 4 islands this trip, and we figure there's only 81 to go! Hope your trip is as wonderful as ours was. For his first time overseas, Vanuatu will turn your husband into an addict too!

Thanks and enjoy - k

melbourne
7 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Just Got Back - Breakas / White Grass / Erakor Island!

we are addicts now too!!! off for our second trip in may 08!!! we too stayed at breakas and whitegrass!! (have to ask - was your trip organised through flight centre? lol)

while at breakas did you go across to pango village with jonathon? (the guest relations guy??) we did = it was great to see a village just as they are!! had kava in their kava hut, played a game of pool with the locals. we loved it!!

San Diego
Level Contributor
2,269 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Just Got Back - Breakas / White Grass / Erakor Island!

Hi. Great post, sounds like the perfect vacation!

! Husband and I are looking for a new South Pacific vacation spot and just started reading about Vanuatu on TA. We're all about the beach. Love to stroll on shore, relax with a book, swim and especially snorkel.

We were in French Poly YEARS ago. Gorgeous, but now too built up, ritzy and crowded. Cook Islands last year and loved it, low key, casual and a good choice of smaller properties. Aitutaki had a fantastic lagoon especially at the motus, but from shore the beach and shallow water was a bit disappointing. A sea cucumber mine field! Poor things.

Anyway was hoping you could tell me more about where the best beaches and snorkeling are. You mentioned staying at different islands. How do you travel from one to the other? We're not big on night life and since it's so difficult to pull ourselevs away from the beach, we aren't that picky about restaurants. Simple tasty and sanitary works for us,

Beachfront on a great beach is what we're looking for.

Hmmm maybe I should have posted a new topic, but I'll start with your experienced visitors. Thank you!

Campbelltown...
Level Contributor
1,245 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Just Got Back - Breakas / White Grass / Erakor Island!

Just a reply to the last post about beaches........

On our last trip we went to santo (1hr flight from vila). We had the most fabulous time there. Our hightlight of santo was a one hour trip in a bus out to a little beach called Lonnoc. If you want amazing crystal blue water that is just heaven, go for a visit there. The beach was clean (the locals brush the beach all the time). You can stay on lonnoc but the accommodation is very basic. They have a restaurant there as well which opens when people visit. For me, staying 2-3 nights would be enough. Just to wake up and step onto that beach every morning is my idea of bliss.

We also snorkelled million dollar point on santo which was just amazing. At the end of world war 2 the americans dumped millions of dollars of equipment into the water. Some of the equipment is littered on the beach as well. As you snorkel you see planes, jeeps and all kinds of military equipment. Coral has built up over the years and there is all kinds of sea life. You step from the beach into the water and you are amazed at what you see.

Jody

Tweed Heads...
Level Contributor
254 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Just Got Back - Breakas / White Grass / Erakor Island!

Hi K

Your trip sounded fantastic. My husband and I are going to White Grass resort next April for 5 nights and was wondering what the approximate cost of the meals are. Our travel agent has offered us a meal deal of $35aud dinner only and are wondering if this is a good deal or not. Have read all your reviews- we have also stayed at Erakor and agree with your comments - a wonderful relaxing place to stay.

We have our own reef shoes, goggles and snorkel - are flippers necessary and can you hire them. We are trying to travel as light as possible. Any suggestions regarding what clothing etc to take or to leave behind.

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

S&F

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,799 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Just Got Back - Breakas / White Grass / Erakor Island!

Hi all,

Meals at White Grass were beteen 1900 - 2400 VT ($22-$30 AUD) so if your meal deal is for 2, it may be worth it. The meals were just delicious and if you don't fancy anything on the small menu, the cook is more than happy to modify or make up something else.

San Diego - we were there last year and loved it!!! Now, I would recommend Erakor Island for the best of everything - beach, swimming, snorkelling, and if you want to go into town, it's close by. Breakas was just great too. As far as getting about to islands, Air Vanuatu has lots of flights and there's a discount if you show your international ticket... Tanna had great snorkelling, but not much beach so it would depend on what you want. Also I understand that Vanuatu has the same sort of laid back relaxed atmosphere as the Cook Islands...

Please check out my reviews in the hotels section for more info and pictures. Ask as many questions as you like - k

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,799 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Just Got Back - Breakas / White Grass / Erakor Island!

S&F - flippers are a must for helping you if there's any current - there were at least 2-3 times we really had to paddle to get back to shore - if you can, find some with an adjustable strap so you can leave your reef shoes on to walk over rocks etc, and just strap them on once you get to deep enough water.... - k

California
Level Contributor
64 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Just Got Back - Breakas / White Grass / Erakor Island!

We are planning to stay at White Grass, a couple with 10 year old. Any suggestions for what accomodations would be best? Are they all similar?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,799 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Just Got Back - Breakas / White Grass / Erakor Island!

Hi,

I think all the bungalows are the same but check with White Grass. There are lots of games, tennis court, mini golf etc for your 10 year old. We didn't see any other children there as it seems to be more couples orientated, so he/she may be bored - also there's no radio, television or internet, which we loved, but kids may not. But heaps of snorkelling//swimming.

I'm sure you'll love White Grass - k