We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Island recommendation??

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
113 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Island recommendation??

My parents are traveling to Vanuatu in July and are deciding which island to spend a few nights at - Santo or Tanna? They want to have diving lessons, play golf if possible, go for good walks etc.

What would you recommend? I believe they will stay a couple of nights in Port Villa as well.

Any accommodation recommendations would be appreciated also!

Tweed Heads...
Level Contributor
254 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Island recommendation??

Hi

There is no diving on Tanna only snorkling. Tanna is a small but beautiful island you mainly go for the experience of seeing an active volcano. There are no golf courses only a chip and putt, 6 hole course at White Grass Resort. I have never been to Santo so can't comment.

We have stayed on Erakor Island and this trip we stayed at Mangoes (adults only resort) both were excellent. It is possible to walk into Port Vila from Mangoes I wouldn't from Erakor Island.

I am sure you can take divng lessons in Port Vila maybe someone else can advise you on that.

Sandy

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Vanuatu, Port Vila, Espiritu Santo
Level Contributor
3,869 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Island recommendation??

Hi Kiwigirl,

You can fly direct to Santo from Australia, not sure about NZ but it is likely that your parents will land in Vila as it is the major airport. There is a good golf course not far from the airport on Efate (main island - Vila). The Port Vila Golf and Country Club Ph 22564.

Otherwise if they are staying at Le Lagon or Le Meridien they can use the golf courses there for free as guests. They are just little courses but we have fun on them.

For diving lessons in Vila we have used Big Blue and found them to be very good. They are on the waterfront near the Mama's craft markets. Other dive operators are found at Hideaway Island and at Nautilus Watersports. On Espiritu Santo where the Coongoola Wreck is found, you have Bokissa Eco Island Resort which is a diving operator.

My favourite accommodation in Vila is Le Meridien but your choices may be different from mine.

Hope this helps.

Jen

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
113 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Island recommendation??

Great thanks Jen! Do you recommend going and spending some time in Santo? Or should they just spend their time in Port Vila?

Morrinsville N.Z.
Level Contributor
252 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Island recommendation??

I'd recommend that they get away to an island for a few days as the culture is quite different to Vila.

Tanna has the volcano trip which anyone would enjoy.

It is spectacular and a once in a lifetime experience but you have to make sure you do the visit in the evening.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
113 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Island recommendation??

Great thanks for that.

Do you have a preference over Santo or Tanna? Any recommendations for accommodation?

:)

Port Vila
5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Island recommendation??

Moorings Hotel that I operate in port Vila is a great spot to stay especially if you are looking to only stay ab few days and then head to Santo. Definitiely Santo for diving but golf better here in Vila. We have agreat course 18 holes championship course

email me for any info gm@mooringsvanuatu.com

Regards

Bryan

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Vanuatu, Port Vila, Espiritu Santo
Level Contributor
3,869 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Island recommendation??

Hi Kiwigirl,

If your parents are able to visit Santo and Tanna then it would be worth the trips. Tanna is famous for the volcano, as you know, and Santo for diving. You are already going to be in Vila because that's the airport's location so enjoy the golf nearby here. Sounds like a fantastic trip. If they are up to the walk, enquire about the Milennium Cave on Santo.

8. Re: Island recommendation??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 September 2009, 20:17