We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vanuatu or Fiji ?

Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Vanuatu or Fiji ?

We are planning to go for a 7 day holiday in South Pacific around April 2009. We are financialy limmited so need to find value while still finding an enjoyable holiday. We are travelling as a couple only, no kids. We have no idea which destination is best. We are not snokelers or party people, we want relaxing time and to experience local culture. We are hoping to find some people who have been to both places and can give us a clue.

Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Vanuatu or Fiji ?

I'm off to Vanuatu in three weeks, because my boyfiend (bless him) saw it on 'Getaway' a thought that it looks fantastic!!!

I never thought of going to Vanuatu I would gernerally think of going to places like Thailand, Bali and Malaysia.

I hear and read that the food is more expensive, but if you have kids I guess you could by them snacks from the supermarket. And I guess it depends on where you eat.

I think it would be a good cultural experience for children though..

Hobart, Australia
Destination Expert
for Vanuatu
Level Contributor
3,647 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vanuatu or Fiji ?

We have done Fiji a few times which I love, especially the islands but this September we are visiting Vanuatu for the first time. I will write a review when we get back. Without a doubt though Vanuatu is much more affordable then Fiji - you get far nicer accommodation for a lot less and there are more self catering options if you like to cook. On top of that by all accounts the variety of food sounds much better than Fiji and there seems to be a lot more to see and do. Hope this helps

Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vanuatu or Fiji ?

Thanks Suzi, thats excellent. Look forward to hearing about your trip when you get back.

Still have questions?Post your own question so other travellers can help.
Ask a question
Wellington, NZ
Destination Expert
for Wellington
Level Contributor
2,342 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vanuatu or Fiji ?

Wizard, have you tried searching for "Fiji" in the Vanuatu forums? This question has been asked before.

I've been to both - and prefer Vanuatu.

Level Contributor
101 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vanuatu or Fiji ?

Hi, We have done both and liked Vanuatu the best so have been back three times. We found the people to be more friendly. Fiji is more stread out and takes longer to get around.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
59 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vanuatu or Fiji ?

We agree with pondy2.

We've been to Vanuatu twice now and would happily return. Whereas I have no desire to go back to Fiji in a hurry.

Level Contributor
135 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Vanuatu or Fiji ?

I went to fiji in May, I was like you not sure if i should choose Vanuatu or Fiji. I enjoyed Fiji but after reading the reviews I think Vanuatu would have suited me more.

Vanuatu seems easier to get around

Resorts are a lot smaller

has quite a few resorts which are for adults only

easy to get around to other restaurant, tourist spots etc.

Mainland is average

main resorts have a lot of rooms and a lot of kids

On the mainland it was the type of place where you just stay in the resort and not venture out to other places because of the distance, being hassled by cab drivers and in general Nandi was awful.We had considered hiring a car but it appeared to be rafferties rule on the roads and we thought we would be a bit intimidated by the crazy drivers

We did 5 days at a very large 2oo+ room resort on the mainland, definately not my cup of tea then we did 5 days on an island .

I would recommend any one going to fiji to to head to the islands and avoid the mainland.

The snorkling sounds better in Vanuatu.

I am planning a trip for next year and Vanuatu is on top of my list.

If you are keen on the south Pacific Islands another good spot is the Cook islands.

Another advantage of Vanuatu is the flying time about 2 1/2 to 3 hours from Brisbane.

Fiji is futher.

I like the idea of getting out and about and you can probably do thet more in Vanuatu then Fiji.

8. Re: Vanuatu or Fiji ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2009, 19:18