We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vanuatu in February- Weather and Cyclones

Australia
9 posts
Save Topic
Vanuatu in February- Weather and Cyclones

I'm planning a trip to Vanuatu in February 08, but am concerned about the prospect of cyclones/hurricanes. Can anyone share their experiences if they have been there at this time of the year?

Thanks,

Sydney
Level Contributor
147 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vanuatu in February- Weather and Cyclones

Hi DJ,

I think you meant 09. My sister and I went in Feb 07 and it rained probably 3 out of 6 days. Its a nice rain and we didnt let it stop us from doing anything.

We stayed at Iririki and we had very very strong winds. We were down in the bar area and the staff were running around bringing all the outdoor furniture inside as the wind was tipping them over. They had the windows open in the restarant and cutlery and glasses fell off the table. It was over in about 10minutes. It was a little scary because they asked us to move inside and sit in lounge area.

The ni vanuatu people know when a big storm is coming. We were having a massage that morning and the guy doing it told us that there is a big storm coming and then we were told again by the lady in the bar. I guess they are just used to it.

You will have a great time

Emma

Australia
9 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Vanuatu in February- Weather and Cyclones

Thanks for your response! Your right I do mean 09!!

I've also booked to stay at Iririki so i'm glad to hear good feedback. Hopefully it'll all be ok. Just wanted to hear some other peoples experiences and reassurance.

Thanks again.

VPS
Leigh-on Sea...
Level Contributor
1,561 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vanuatu in February- Weather and Cyclones

Vanuatu does have a volatile climate at certain times of year but this adds to the whole adventure of the holiday. Just follow the advice of the locals and you'll be fine. I lived in Vanuatu and Fiji and in the cyclone season we experienced some very high winds, flooding and a little structural damage. In Vanuatu we also had earth tremors approx. monthly. Some of these were quite big at times (moved my bed 4 feet across the room). They only lasted between 5 and 15 seconds though.

Most of the time you will have love;y hot sunny weather. Enjoy it.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Vanuatu, Port Vila, Espiritu Santo
Level Contributor
3,914 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vanuatu in February- Weather and Cyclones

Hi DJBunny,

We have been in Vanuatu from December to end of January in consecutive years for a while now and have not experienced any cyclones fortunately but we have had the odd rough patch in the weather. In Jan 2007 there was a storm that sprang up overnight after a couple of rainy days and it seemed to me much like a cyclone although it had petered out by the next day.

You can take heart that the older resorts are built to withstand all categories of weather from tremors to cyclones and have endured them in the past and survived relatively unscathed.

The rain provides welcome coolness at that time of the year and when the sun comes out everything glows with the magic colours of the south pacific.

Iririki is not very exposed as you'll see when you get there. It is "over the hill" from the direction of the tradewinds which blow across Erakor Lagoon and up to Le Plateau above Elluk. Iririki is in the harbour on the other side of this high plateau.

Relax and enjoy yourself.

Hope this helps,

Jen

5. Re: Vanuatu in February- Weather and Cyclones

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 October 2009, 22:23
Get answers to your questions about Vanuatu
Recent Conversations