We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Economic Crisis

queensland
Level Contributor
510 posts
67 reviews
Save Topic
Economic Crisis

I notice from the INfrequency of posts on this forum that things are getting a little dull. Maybe it's that time of year or has the global crisis hit harder than I thought.

Open question to everyone:-

What are your holiday plans this year, are there budget constraints you didn't have last year?

This quetion is general and purely out of social interest.

Hobart, Australia
Destination Expert
for Vanuatu
Level Contributor
3,544 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Economic Crisis

Hi Reboi

We are off to the Cook Islands for 3 weeks in June - it is half way between Australia and USA - so we can meet family from the USA there. Really looking forward to seeing what this tropical paradise will be like in comparison to Fiji and Vanuatu. I have to say the budget constraints have not hit but maybe next year .... hope not but then again there is always Noosa if it does – which I love and is heaps cheaper (don't tell anyone!). You just have to wonder how much the media is hyping this all up and scaring people. I wish I was getting Kevin 07’s $900+ though to have for spending money!

Regards

Suzi

queensland
Level Contributor
510 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Economic Crisis

Noosa-cheap?

Thing must have changed!

Campbelltown...
Level Contributor
1,242 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Economic Crisis

The crisis hasnt hit us but I am busting our butts to pay off the holiday which isnt until november, just in case.

We have all our flights booked and payed for. Our accom and transfers on lonnoc is paid for and only have $850 to go for our vila accom which will be paid in the next fortnight.

Jody

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Denarau Island
Level Contributor
2,121 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Economic Crisis

We are flying up to the gold coast this afternoon!

We usually try to do 1 domestic (Read: cheap) & 1 International holiday every year.

Our Nephew is getting married in San Diego in October, so thats going to be our international trip, & why I have to miss out on my Vanuatu fix this year :(

So far, no issues for us with the economic situation, but holidays have always been our number one priority & I dont ever see that changing. (thats why we live in a dump!!-I look at everything in terms of how much is it compared to a trip to Vanuatu. eg. A new bathroom is probably equal to 10 trips to Vanuatu, so the bathroom can wait!LOL!)

Hobart, Australia
Destination Expert
for Vanuatu
Level Contributor
3,544 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Economic Crisis

Hi Reboi

We seem to spend $3-$4,000 when we go to Noosa for 2 weeks but about $6-$7000 when we go for the same time in Vanuatu or Fiji - mostly due to airfares and accommodation cost differences. If we watch out we can usually grab really cheap direct flights to Brisbane (overseas incurs two flights) and we self cater in Noosa.

I am with Annie G - my priority also is having a great holiday each year - the house can wait for the next family!

Regards

Suzi

sydney
Level Contributor
33 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Economic Crisis

this year in september we are going to port vila and getting married at le lagon there was no budget we actually paid for my mum and her partner to go over and stay for the week aswell

next year we are looking at going to hongkong

vanuatu will be our first family holiday and first time leaving the country

gold coast australia
Level Contributor
70 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Economic Crisis

We have been traveling to Port Vila for past 5 years (just returned)and hope to visit again later this year or early 2010. We stay at 4 star apartments such as Lagoon Beach and Poppies where we can make a few meals especially breakfast and can get a 10 day trip in for around A$4000.00 incl. airfares. The Economic Crisis effects us all one way or another but air fares are down to help compensate.

Some thoughts of Pt.Vila as a destination - We are concerned about the large amount of uncollected garbage littering the capital - a sign of things going downhill?

The cost of restaurant meals - with the very inexpensive local meats, vegetables etc, low wages and relatively low rents, main course dishes should be available for less than A$20.00. The same restaurants have been there for many years so obviously doing well and need a shake up.

The Vatu is over valued. It is becoming cheaper to buy a package and fly right across Australia to Bali, than to holiday in Vanuatu - we love Bali but dont want to see Pt Vila turned into another Kuta.

Improved shopping, it dosen't worry us too much but younger people like to shop.

The good things are the natural beauty of the Islands, and Friendliest people on earth. Maybe we should start a "Friends of Vanuatu" group?

1Horrie1

queensland
Level Contributor
510 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Economic Crisis

These are all great posts, it's interesting to see different points of view. We will be back in Vila later this year and quite frankly I'm not real excited about it, that worries me. I am usually the ardent traveller.

Maybe the fact we have just moved home is affecting my enthusiasm.

Hobart, Australia
Destination Expert
for Vanuatu
Level Contributor
3,544 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Economic Crisis

Reboi Maybe it is time for a change in destination? Nothg like somewhere new to look foward to!

Campbelltown...
Level Contributor
1,242 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Economic Crisis

there is nothing like going somewhere new on holiday but so far we havent found anywhere that we love at much as vanuatu.

We have been to the cook islands, singapore, phuket, langkawi, penang. We will go other places as well, we have hawaii, canada and a few other places on our "must go to" list but I am sure we will always go to vanuatu in between.

Jody

Get answers to your questions about Vanuatu