We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

March travel with a 8 month old

Sydney, Australia
7 posts
Save Topic
March travel with a 8 month old

Hello, we are travelling with our 8 month old and have a two questions about this. Both of us are well travelled so culture shock etc won't be a problem but this is the first time with a baby. We are staying at Iririki for two weeks.

* have people used babysitters for this age? If so, what is the impression of doing this. I was thnking two or three hours would be enough at a time. Do they just stay in the room with them or will they take them to the kids club to at least watch the other children?

* would the day trip to Lelepa Island be suitable to take a 8 motnh old on. I'm not sure after seeing a photo of the smallish boat online? Has anyone done this tour and what would you think about this?

Thanks in advance

Australia
Destination Expert
for Port Vila, Vanuatu
Level Contributor
2,308 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: March travel with a 8 month old

Hi Lisad,

When I have been to Lelepa, I have seen a couple that did have a small non walking child with them. But the boat trip over is about 40 mins, there is a stroll across the island with a cultural lesson then free time on a beach while lunch is made which would be fine for a baby. Then back onto a boat for a trip to a cave, and another walk, then back on the boat to a fantastic snorkelling spot (jumping off the boat) then continuing on in the boat to the village for afternoon snack and a look at their little markets, before another boat back to Havannah. If this isnt too much of a burden go for it but personally I would find it a pain as one of you would have to miss out on highlights while the other held the baby and there is quite a bit of carrying involved (no way would you bring a stroller...maybe a back pack carrier would be ok). And it would depend if the baby was easy going too. The baby we saw on the trip was very quiet the whole day and didn't disturb the other guests.

Iririki is a very modern resort and at night they would babysit in your room if the child is under 3 and in the day it would be up to you if they could move around the resort (the actual kids club is for kids over 3).

Have a great trip.

Edited: 01 February 2013, 08:09
Australia
Destination Expert
for Port Vila, Vanuatu
Level Contributor
2,308 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: March travel with a 8 month old

Also the tour company transfers you by bus to the boat to the island (40mins) and child car seats are not commonly used on the island and not practical for public transport, taxis etc. You may be able to get one with a hire car if this is important to you but most people don't bother and just share belt with kids. The roads are not great and around town so the cars don't go very fast.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Vanuatu, Port Vila, Espiritu Santo
Level Contributor
3,862 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: March travel with a 8 month old

There is a similar trip you can do to Moso island which is the one next to Lelepa. The difference is that the vessel is a large timber motor yacht. There was also a baby on this trip when we did it and it was fine, however, if it was my baby I would want the weather to be calm as the baby transfer from the large timber boat to the small aluminium landing craft was something I shut my eyes to. Maybe I'm a wuss.

Jen

Sydney, Australia
7 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: March travel with a 8 month old

Thank you both for the information - very helpful. Lisad

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: March travel with a 8 month old

You can also hire a babysitter to come with you on your boat trip. The wages are very low and it gives you the freedom to snorkel and swim while still having your baby with you. The local wage is between $10and $20 a day. You would have to pay the tour trip for your babysitter but as most of the locals never get to experience a tourist's trip it's a great thing to do.

The hotel will organise a babysitter for you and if the front desk can't do it then one of the staff will know someone who can.

Children in Vanuatu are treasured and included.

You will have a great time

Sydney, Australia
7 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: March travel with a 8 month old

Thanks Liz S, great advice. Like the idea of this.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
27 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: March travel with a 8 month old

Hi Lisad,

I think you should just get a babysitter on arrival at Iririki, leave the baby with the babysitter and pick him up when you are leaving.

This will make for a more enjoyable experience all around ;-)

deags

(lisad's husband)

Adelaide
Level Contributor
1,325 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: March travel with a 8 month old

Hahaha deags, I think you MIGHT have had something to do with the creation of said baby, so maybe you should volunteer to be the babysitter and lisad can have a nice relax! :)

Sydney, Australia
7 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: March travel with a 8 month old

I am with OldNHappy on this one. I will start looking into the best position by the pool for ultimate relaxation. Hopefully there is a pool where children aren't allowed ;)

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
27 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: March travel with a 8 month old

Not fair ganging up on me.