We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vanuatu for backpackers

Preston, Lancashire
Level Contributor
93 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Vanuatu for backpackers

How will travelling in vanuatu (primarily Efate) be for 3 young people on a backpackers budget? will activities / food/ car rental etc be relatively affordable or is it not even going to be worth going?

Bargara, Australia
Level Contributor
1,441 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vanuatu for backpackers

If you stay away from the "Resorts" and use the cheaper motel style accommodation, say like the Sportsman Hotel and more you'd keep your costs down.

In general Vanuatu is not a "low cost" destination and prices for many activities are similar to here in Australia, which you may find are a bit out of what I'd expect a backpacker budget might be. Many/most goods are imported and services are taxed as there is no income tax in Vanuatu.

I think you'll get a bit of discussion on this topic but with food drink and most activities costs even surprising many Aussies, you might not find Vanuatu an ideal place to visit on a budget IN MY OPINION, highlighted coz it is just that :-) I just don't think Vanuatu caters for the demographic.

Cheerz Wabster.

Preston, Lancashire
Level Contributor
93 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vanuatu for backpackers

thanks for your help. For the most part (around 4 weeks) we would be based on Efate (preferably near Port Vila) so would be looking for somewhere with self-catering facilities, so would shopping for produce at markets etc also keep costs down? Any accommodation suggestions would be great as well as maybe some rough prices for activities such as kayaking trips etc. thanks

Australia
Destination Expert
for Port Vila, Vanuatu
Level Contributor
2,470 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vanuatu for backpackers

Have a look at Jabsina guest house. I think it is 2500vt per person per night and it is near the mouth of first lagoon near some big resorts (such as Nasama) and has 4 bedrooms and is self catering. Its a 150vt bus ride from town and the markets and big supermarket at Numbatu.

http://www.jabsinaguesthouse.webs.com

The Sportsmens Hotel has back packer dorm rooms for 2000vt per night. It has Emily's cafe attached which is 24/7 sportsbar and cafe. Its not self catering but has TVs if you need to watch sport or something. See the reviews: tripadvisor.com.au/Hotel_Review-g294144-d315…

If you are staying a month I would also go stay on Pele or Nguna or Emao islands where you can stay in an unpowered beach bungalow for about 3500vt per night per person including food made by your hosts.

www.marineprotectedarea.com.vu/visit.htm

positiveearth.org/bungalows/shefa/nguna.htm (a bit out of date).

When you ring to book, they will tell you were to catch a bus from in town to get to the Emua wharf at the top of the island and what time you should be there to get the little boat over (about 45mins).

You can live quite cheaply self catering as fresh food is cheap including meat. Imported foods/rent/power/anything manufactured is more expensive which is why the bigger restaurants and resorts are more expensive than Asia but about the same as Australia.

Have fun

Edited: 18 March 2013, 22:49
4. Re: Vanuatu for backpackers

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 23 September 2013, 13:05
5. Re: Vanuatu for backpackers

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 September 2014, 05:16