We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How bad are the roads out of Port Vila - around Eratap?

New Zealand
Level Contributor
106 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
How bad are the roads out of Port Vila - around Eratap?

We are thinking of doing some driving out of Port Vila, to Aquana Resort for lunch on our first day, and then other 'longer' day drives around Eratap. However someone told me yesterday that the roads are really bad with pot holes etc. How bad are they really? And what would the estimated driving time be from Paradise Cove to Aquana resort? I also saw that one is best to drive around the island anti-clockwise due to the hills etc. Is this correct? Thanks in advance.

Australia
Destination Expert
for Port Vila, Vanuatu
Level Contributor
2,318 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How bad are the roads out of Port Vila - around Eratap?

No thats old info regarding going around the island anti clockwise. There is a steep down hill at a place called Klems Hill if you go anti clockwise and its a nice view from the top but its no problem getting up it either. I have done it both ways on a quad bike with no probs. The whole ring road around the island is bitumen.

Aquana and Eratap are right near each other on the same road (keep going past the Eratap turn off to get to Aquana). Be open about when you plan to visit different places as it probably wouldn't be much fun at Aquana on a rainy day for instance.

The Pango Road from Paradise Cove up to Breakas where it becomes bitumen can be rough depending on how recently they have graded it and if its been washed out from storms. Depending on your driving it can take 15mins to get to the bitumen from Paradise Cove. From there I would say 30-40mins to Aquana. Its bitumen until you turn off the ring road to the right then dirt for the last 15mins. The road wasn't too bad 2 weeks ago.

Make sure you visit Jo Jo Vanuatu boutique next door to Paradise Cove and have a look at her latest collections!

Edited: 21 March 2013, 00:08
2. Re: How bad are the roads out of Port Vila - around Eratap?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 March 2014, 05:18