We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vanuatu in a week

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
22 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Vanuatu in a week

Hi all,

My partner and I are looking into going to Vanuatu but it will only be for 7/8 nights. It will be the first week in october and I've read that the weather is meant to be good so that's a good start!

Was just wondering is a week long enough? We will be coming from Perth so that's a 12hr flight already.

Going for our 30th birthdays and just wanted to go somewhere memorable....any other suggestions are welcome! :)

How much would you budget for in Vanuatu? Flights seem to be around $1200 pp and accomodation another $1200ish (or other suggestions)

Where is the best place to stay? Don't want it to be toooo touristy.

Interested in nice beaches, snorkelling, fishing charters, exploring the volcano.

Any input most appreciated :)

Thanks

Australia
Destination Expert
for Port Vila, Vanuatu
Level Contributor
2,493 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vanuatu in a week

Hi Tic

Have a look at the Things To Do link at the top of this page. You could spend a month and still find heaps to see across 83 islands.

For accommodation look at the hotels link to see what available when you are planning to visit. It depends on if you want self catering, a hotel room or a house or apartment. The upmarket places can be $600 a night and budget places $35 with lots of other choices in between. You can also get deals on Groupon and those types of deal websites too that include flights and accommodation.

I doubt that it would be $1200 pp to fly from Australia (thats more like the price for a couple from the East coast capitals) but your profile doesn't say where you are from. Have a look at Virgin and Air Vanuatu websites for flights into either Santo or Port Vila.

The volcano is on another island called Tanna a 1 hr flight south of Port Vila. You may be best to leave that for another trip or just go overnight. See http://airtaxivanuatu.com. Its much better to see the volcano at nigh. there is also lots of other things to do on Tanna so people often stay 3 nights, to give them an extra chance to get up to the volcano if the weather is bad.

Have fun planning.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
22 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vanuatu in a week

I've been looking into all these things just sooo many to chose from! Just want the best things to see in a week

I found the flights on skyscanner and then would look at booking hotel seperately unless we found a good package deal.

Unfortuantly is the aussie school holidays so things are getting booked out quick!

Need to make a decision, whitsundays may be another option i guess!

Thanks

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Vanuatu, Port Vila, Espiritu Santo
Level Contributor
3,883 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vanuatu in a week

Our first trip was just for 7 nights many moons ago and it was wonderful. Perth is a long way to go but we have had passengers on a couple of flights who were pleased to be at the end of their long trip so definitely go for the 8 nights.

There are always good package deals out, if the school hols don't cause blackout dates to come into play.

Actually prices are pretty good at the moment. They are in line with what we paid years ago so its a good time to visit.

Visit the 2 major airline websites (Air Vanuatu and Virgin) to see what they have on offer, then take a look at a couple of the major travel agent websites to see what specials they have on offer.

Another thing you can do is book your flights over and just one or two nights accommodation, then take a look around and choose where to spend the rest of your holiday. The place won't be booked out entirely. We have done this even over the Christmas / New Year period and it has worked well because you can get the local standby rate if you're actually in Vila.

Hope this helps,

Jen

Australia
Level Contributor
203 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vanuatu in a week

Hi Tic,

We have just come back from 7 nights and did most of the things we wanted to. I was pretty happy with the amount of time we spent there and will probably go back and do more things.

For good snorkelling and a beautiful beach I can recomment the Evergreen tour of Pele Island. We all voted this the highlight of our trip. Bonus is that they only take about 12 people so you dont feel if every man and his dog is with you.

No matter what you do I am sure you will have a great time.

Mentioned in this post
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
22 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vanuatu in a week

Thanks for all the replays it's a great help! :)

Bayside girl where did you stay? Did you do the volcano trip day or night?

Do any of you reckon it's easier to be based in port villa and do trips from there or elsewhere?

Thanks

Australia
Destination Expert
for Port Vila, Vanuatu
Level Contributor
2,493 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vanuatu in a week

I would stay in Port Vila and spend 2 nights on Tanna at the end of your holiday. Have a look at this website for some tour info. Its great to fly over the islands in a small plane....http://airtaxivanuatu.com

7. Re: Vanuatu in a week

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 July 2014, 05:18
Get answers to your questions about Vanuatu