We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Duty Free Info

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for Mamanuca Islands
Level Contributor
2,736 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Duty Free Info

I was a bit confused regarding the duty free allowance for spirits for adults on our up coming trip to Vanuatu so I emailed (as below) - answer included... different info from what I had read here and on the duty free site I use when traveling ex NZ. Thought it might be of interest to others...

Hi Diane,

Yes each adult is allowed only 2 litres of spirits.

Thank you,

PATRICK.

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Sunday, 18 August 2013 10:54 AM

To: CustomsIT

Subject: VCIRWEB: Alcohol Allowance?

Mentioned in this post
Vanuatu
Vanuatu
South Pacific
Australia
Destination Expert
for Port Vila, Vanuatu
Level Contributor
2,481 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Duty Free Info

They must not have understood your question... you are only allowed 2lt of spirits per person but you can also bring other alcohol such as wine, beer etc.

Here is the website link for Customs Vanuatu:

customsinlandrevenue.gov.vu/home/…travellers

Mentioned in this post
Vanuatu
Vanuatu
South Pacific
New Zealand
Destination Expert
for Mamanuca Islands
Level Contributor
2,736 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Duty Free Info

Thanks P&L, it was only the spirit quota I was after, other places quote it at being 1.5lts per person.

Bargara, Australia
Level Contributor
1,441 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Duty Free Info

I agree there is conflicting information out there, and the figure of 1.5 litres of spirits is commonly the one we see.

However the clincher for me is that the inbound passenger cards say 2 litres on your Customs Declaration.

Can't have clearer than that! We buy at Port Vila inbound primarily because Sydney airport duty free is notoriously expensive.

Cheerz Wabster.

Mentioned in this post
Port Vila
Port Vila
Efate, Vanuatu
Port Vila, Vanuatu
Level Contributor
244 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Duty Free Info

My husband has been into the country 3 times in the last 3 months and has brought 2 bottles of spirits each time with no problems. My mother in law and parents visited recently and brought in two bottles of spirits each, also with no problems. They all purchased at PV airport. We did have quite a collection but unfortunately our house was broken into here in PV and most of our alcohol was stolen but that is another story!

5. Re: Duty Free Info

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2014, 06:21
Get answers to your questions about Vanuatu