We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tanna Island Volcano

NH USA
Level Contributor
412 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Tanna Island Volcano

I am curious as to how hard a climb it is to the top? Obviously you need some sturdy shoes/trainers but is it a long climb and for one who is not a hiker ( like me) fairly easy?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tanna Island Volcano

You are able to drive almost to the top. It is about a 10 min walk to the top. It's quite steep but you can stop and take in the view (catch your breath!). It's quite sandy so a bit like walking on a beach. I'm not a hiker and did it relatively easy in trainers. You'll have no problems and totally worth it for the show the volcano puts on.

NH USA
Level Contributor
412 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tanna Island Volcano

Thanks Makanaki.......I definetly want to do that. Is it almost a gaurantee that you will see it erupt?

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
85 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tanna Island Volcano

The volcano's activity is rated and depending on the rating at the time is how close you can get for safety reasons.

Most of the tours drive you almost to the top depening on how close they are allowed to go due to activity. From here you walk up a bit of a track, it is a little bit of a climb in steepish ash which was kinda like heavy sand with rocks mixed in. If you start at the survivor hut it is about 10min walk up the volcano. Take a torch (tour guides often supply them) and windbreaker/raincoat

When we were there it was low level so we went right to the edge of the crater and you can look down on the lava bubbling and erupting.

Wellington, NZ
Destination Expert
for Wellington
Level Contributor
2,358 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tanna Island Volcano

When we were visited Mt Yasur, we could only stay on the ridge as it was erupting every 3-4 minutes.

If you go, don't make the mistake I did, and leave your tripod behind!

sydney
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Tanna Island Volcano

Hi

do you have any website or can you give me an idea on how much it is for a day trip and also the night trip.

thanks

Campbelltown...
Level Contributor
1,257 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tanna Island Volcano

we paid about $750 for 3 nights accom at friendly bungalows, breakfast and dinner, transfers and the volcano tour. If I went there again I would only stay one night because its the volcano that you are there to see. If you contact melanesian tours (melanesiantours@vanuatu.com.vu) they can give you a price and organise your accommodation for you.

Jody

Wellington, NZ
Destination Expert
for Wellington
Level Contributor
2,358 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tanna Island Volcano

Don't bother just going for a day. You'll be wasting your money. My avatar photo wasn't taken during the day - and this is the sort of photo you go to the volcano to take.

My friend decided to go to the volcano about a day beforehand. She went with Unity Airlines, and stayed at the Lenekel Cove Resort. She loved the volcano, but wasn't at all impressed by the 'resort'. It's about as budget as it comes. We spent 3 nights at White Grass . . .it has hot water, the best power on the island (according to a cameraman staying there), good food and is just totally relaxing. We were happy with our decision to stay that long. But you do pay more to stay at White Grass. We booked the internal flight and the accommodation through our travel agent.

Here's an idea of prices: www.volcanicearth.com/volcanotours.html

Gold Coast
6 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Tanna Island Volcano

We stayed at White Grass aswell for 4 nights and found it was very overpriced and the rooms were much nicer next door.

We visited the Evergreen Bungalows and had a look at their new Honeymoon suite which is cheaper than a standard room at White Grass.

White Grass has nice grounds etc but I found also the same tours at Evergreen are at least 2000 vatu cheaper. We paid 8800 for a tour to the volcano and the guide could hardly speak english. The guide could not answer any of our questions hardly because he just could not understand. The owner is also the owner of a major tour company in Villa and i would have thought he could arrange English speaking tour guides for his own resort.

I recommend staying on the other side of the island as there is a beach there and not just coral sticking out during low tide.

Overall we had a great time but found the food ordinary as the same meat was used everynight with variations. There is no chance in going elsewhere unless you go to Evergreen for lunch the style of food there is quite similar as the Head chefs sister is the Chef at White Grass.

Birmingham, England
Level Contributor
9 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tanna Island Volcano

im a massive geology fan and love volcanoes

how far is it from the crater bottom to the rim ? anyone know? im just sayin this with regards to how close the guides let you go as this is a highly violet volcano

Gold Coast
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Tanna Island Volcano

The distance from the East rim to the central creater is 240 m (there are 3 vents inline, each with a different level of activity . Vent C on the right has also strambolian eruptions and sulfur gas emitions, but vent B (in the center) was the most active when I was there. Sometimes all 3 vents blow at the same time. The link below will show in wide angle photos of Yasur in a very quiet day : swisseduc.ch/stromboli/perm/van/yasur-en.html

The East rim is the place were most tourists see the volcano from, and usually the guide stays at the car parking area, while you make to the top by yourself. The other sides of the crater are very dangerous, specially with the predominant wind blow bombs to that direction. Just stick with the crowd on the East rim. There will be around 20 to 80 people every night on the top, but you can also see Yasur in the very early morning, all by yourself.

Yasur can be very dangerous if activity gets stronger and can blow flames up to 1 km high. (usually they close the volcano if that happens). One of the days we went there Yasur was very mad and even the locals from John Frum village were turning their heads all the time to check the eruptions. If this happens, never ever turn your back to the volcano while near the rim. Also, never go down the creater to look inside the vent as some stupid guys did while I was there. They are very lucky to be alive today.

The best place to stay if you like volcanos and geology as I do, is the Jungle Oasis bungallow. It is located just behind the volcano (1 hour by foot) near the ash plains. So you can come back to Yasur any time of the day or night and wonder by the ash plain in the fresh hours of the day. Remenber that the second visit to the volcano are charged half if you keep the cupom. (but at 5 in the morning I've never found anyone around to charge me anything).

You can stay a couple of days in Jungles Oasis, and when you get tired of Yasur move to Port Resolution and stay a couple of days enjoying the beach and the local people. Locals are fantastic in Tanna Island.

Tip- talk to the local elders about Yasur. You are going to hear unbeleveble histories.

Have a nice trip

Get answers to your questions about Vanuatu
Recent Conversations