We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whale watching

Cairns
Level Contributor
1,041 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Whale watching

Hi

Can't find much info online.

Planning a snorkelling / whale watching trip during the season later this year

Fiji and Tonga seem to be on board with this but interested in going to Vanuatu this year as there might be work opportunity.

Anyone have any experience or knowledge of whale watching around the islands and would appreciate comment on a good place/area to stay easy to get to public transport - Hideaway..? Santo..?.

Thanks

Australia
Destination Expert
for Port Vila, Vanuatu
Level Contributor
2,318 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Whale watching

I think you will find whale watching a more opportunistic activity in Vanuatu than a commercial one e.g. you might be out sea kayaking or fishing and see some or sitting on a beach and spot them offshore. Same for dugongs....though there are a few areas such as Paradise Cove area where there are resident ones and we have also seen one near Erakor Island where the sea grass is.

Do you fly into Port Vila? Santo is another island about an hour flight north and same for Tanna with the live volcano about an hour south. Hideaway is an island off Efate (the island Port Vila is on..there are many small islands). The are plenty of large fish there that will come eat out of your hand while you are snorkelling there. Same with Lelepa island where you can stay in basic accommodation or do a day trip with great snorkelling. Tara Beach also has good snorkelling at a coral shelf drop off. They are all accessible from PV accommodation. Have a look at the reviews on TA.

Buses in Port Vila work like taxis..negotiate a fare for the trip (about $150 AUD for exclusive use of minibus & driver/guide for the day) or $2 pp for a trip within the town. There are also taxis which are smaller cars.

Have fun planning!

Cairns
Level Contributor
1,041 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Whale watching

Hi Peace and light

Thanks for the info

We haven't booked anything as yet, still gathering info.

OK, sounds like we can easily base ourselves in PV for 7-10 days and do day snorkelling trips to different locations.

Should we bring our own snorkelling gear or can we rent when we get there

Though we live in the tropics of lower Cape York, being of anglo-saxon stock I can get heat exhausted quite easily so prefer somewhere to stay where I can put an air-con on at night to sleep.

Any not too expensive recommendations in PV..?

Thanks again

Australia
Destination Expert
for Port Vila, Vanuatu
Level Contributor
2,318 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Whale watching

You can easily spend 10 days on Efate (Port Vila) snorkelling in different places.

If you have snorkelling gear just bring it but bring short fins if you are short of room in your luggage.

Lots of places hire gear but you will find goggles scratched etc.

Did you want to self cater in an apartment or bungalow or stay in a resort place with organised activities etc?

In town so you can walk to restaurants at night or out of town on a beach, on a small island within 30mins travel distance of PV? there is such variety! Have a look here tripadvisor.com.au/Hotels-g294144-Port_Vila_… for your travel dates.

cheers

Cairns
Level Contributor
1,041 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Whale watching

Most times we travel we usually book a small apartment or small house where we can shop in local markets and self cater for breakfast and some meals with the option of being close enough to try out different local restaurants at night and walking distance to public transport. Being on an island can be idyllic. We lived on one for a year. We now live 40km out of town on the mainland. These days on holiday we are happy to be walking distance away from "facilities", but not right in the mainstream.

Any recommendations...?

Australia
Destination Expert
for Port Vila, Vanuatu
Level Contributor
2,318 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Whale watching

Have a look at Nasama studios....they have specials on at the moment.

Or Breakas is good as its only over 18s (but not self catering)

Efate, Vanuatu
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Whale watching

Hi,

My name is Jeff Jones and I am the Watersports Manager @ Hideaway Island Resort and Marine Park.

dive@hideaway.com.vu

Please contact me and I will go through your questions with you.

I did see whales yesterday :) but like PeaceandLight said, there is quite a bit of luck involved.

J

7. Re: Whale watching

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 February 2016, 05:15