We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vanuatu in March

Wellington, New...
3 posts
Save Topic
Vanuatu in March

I'm looking at visiting Vanuatu for about three weeks in March, which I understand is the rainiest month of the year. I didn't mean to visit during this time but the fares were the cheapest and I'm on a tight budget. I'd like to see some of the sites but I'm planning on doing a bit of writing, as well, so I'm not overly fussed about the weather if I need to stay in a bit. My question is: just how bad is March in terms of weather: thundershowers like clockwork (good) or cyclones that make it dangerous to travel to the islands (bad)?

Any advice as to what to do this time of year and where to stay (cheap but ok to lounge in stormy weather) would be greatly appreciated as well.

Thanks!

Australia
Destination Expert
for Port Vila, Vanuatu
Level Contributor
2,470 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vanuatu in March

March can be rainy but so can every other month ....the weather is as unpredictable in Vanuatu as it is every where else lately. It can rain for 5 minutes 5 hr or 5 days! But its always warm so it shouldn't stop you getting out and about. You can see what the weather is like as it gets close to your departure time by looking at the webcam link in Top Questions About Vanuatu. There is also a Things To Do Link at the top of this page.

As far as accommodation goes do you want self catering? Near town or out on a beach? On a small island in a bungalow run by locals or a resort type of place? Have a look at the links in the green bar at the top of this page to get an idea of whats available and come back with more questions :) Its probably a good idea for you to stay in a couple of different places if you have 3 weeks. You could try somewhere in town like The tripadvisor.com.au/Hotel_Review-g294144-d315… where you can get a shared facilities room for about $40/night. They also have a 24/7 cafe and bar with big TVs etc. Then move to a waterfront place like tripadvisor.com.au/VacationRentalReview-g294… for some writing. Or in a guest house like tripadvisor.com.au/Hotel_Review-g294144-d190… Just some ideas…..You can always just book the first place then play it by ear….

There are bungalows on surrounding small islands such as Lelepa, Pele, Nguna & Emao where you can live in the village and this is very inexpensive but often you won't have power all the time, just a generator at night.

Edited: 26 February 2014, 09:55
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
34 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Vanuatu in March

We were in Vanuatu last March, and will be coming again next Thursday for 16 nights. It rained at some point during most days that we were there last March, but in reality, it restricts you very little. It is still hot and humid enough to swim, and probably provides a small amount of relief from the heat.

3. Re: Vanuatu in March

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 February 2015, 05:28
Get answers to your questions about Vanuatu