We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New to Vanuatu

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,918 posts
106 reviews
Save Topic
New to Vanuatu

Hello!

I am new to Vanuatu, I am only just beginning to do my research and I figured the best way to narrow my options down was to find out if there are over water bungalows (not over a lagoon though) that offer snorkelling straight off the deck?

If there are and you can rattle of a few names that will help me on my way!

Probably travelling over the New Year period - is this a good time to visit?

We have been to Fiji, Maldives, Thailand, Singapore, KL and Bali so really excited about this new adventure!

Mentioned in this post
Fiji
Fiji
South Pacific
Bali
Bali
Indonesia
South Sea Sailing Yacht Charters
Scuba & Snorkeling, Surfing, Windsurfing & Kitesurfing, Swim with Dolphins, Boat Tours, Eco Tours
Real Ni-Van Adventures
City Tours, Cultural Tours, Day Trips, Scuba & Snorkeling, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Eleanore Lagoon Cruise
Cultural Tours, Scuba & Snorkeling, Boat Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
John's Authentic Island Tours
Scuba & Snorkeling, Cultural Tours, Day Trips
Australia
Destination Expert
for Port Vila, Vanuatu
Level Contributor
2,481 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New to Vanuatu

The only ones I can think of offhand that aren't in a lagoon are at Iririki Island. They are a few metres above water level on the side of the island facing PV town with a bit of boat traffic.

Holiday Inn has overwater bungalows (in a lagoon) and also Warwick Le Lagon (which is at the mouth of the first lagoon) but close to open sea.

Erakor Island is just outside the mouth of the first lagoon but it has bungalows 3m from the waters edge for easy access and private decks. The snorkelling is nice there too.

There are others close to the waters edge with good snorkelling if thats what you are after, private beach access etc.

Major resorts have big firework displays over NY, Xmas Lunch etc and its a busy time of year for bookings and airfares are up a little as its in school holidays.

Vanuatu is much less commercial/touristy than the other places you mention. Try to get out of town and see the natural beauty and pristine reefs and landscape if you can.

Have fun planning!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,918 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New to Vanuatu

Wow Peace and Light thankyou so much for your informative response!

I am really excited to be visiting somewhere new, we are so lucky in Australia to have so many beautiful places so close!

We would love an over water bungalow but would be more than content with beach front, there are just so many options.

I will get out and explore all that Vanuatu has to offer, the resorts may be lovely and relaxing but it is always good to meet the People and learn a bit about them and their life.

Thanks again - appreciate your help.

Palmwoods, Australia
Level Contributor
10 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New to Vanuatu

We recently stayed at holiday inn, and it was awesome! Could not recommend the resort enough!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,918 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New to Vanuatu

I was looking at the Holiday Inn as we have stayed with them several times in Bali and Thailand, is the lagoon Ok for swimming?

Mentioned in this post
Bali
Bali
Indonesia
Palmwoods, Australia
Level Contributor
10 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New to Vanuatu

The lagoon was actually warmer then the pools and it was perfect to swim in. They have free catamarans, paddle boards and kayaks to use also. I would just suggest a pair of reef shoes though, as there are starfish and some are a little spikey. Our kids loved it!

6. Re: New to Vanuatu

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 May 2015, 05:15
Get answers to your questions about Vanuatu