We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honeymoon Port Vila or Santo

Level Contributor
4 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Honeymoon Port Vila or Santo

Hey everyone,

My Partner and I are looking at going to Vanuatu for our honeymoon (in January '15) and wondering what your opinions are on Port Vila vs Santo. My Partner loves to go diving ( me not so much but I do love snorkeling). We would love to get out and see some of the beautiful scenery that Vanuatu has to offer but also have some relax time by the beach or have the option to get massage.

If anyone could kindly advise if one is possibly better suited for what we are looking for that would be great. Also if you think going to both would be a better option, what would your reasons be?

Thankyou in advance :)

Australia
Destination Expert
for Port Vila, Vanuatu
Level Contributor
2,450 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Honeymoon Port Vila or Santo

It depends on your budget really. If the cost of extra airfare to Santo is no issue you could do both for no other reason other than variety of environment.

In PV (and surrounds) you will find more luxury accommodation for a honeymoon and be able to do dive excursions with Big Blue etc. and get a massage either at your resort or at several thai places in town (cheaper than resort prices and still very good and professional). There is also more choice in regard to restaurants and activities both near PV and around the island.

Santo has great diving, less commercial but more basic and less facilities... but lovely enough to keep you busy in a pristine natural environment. Have a look at the Hotels link and the Things to Do link at the top of this page to get an idea.

Have fun planning!

Edited: 16 June 2014, 08:34
Level Contributor
4 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Honeymoon Port Vila or Santo

Thankyou for that! I think we will go to both islands to make the most of our Vanuatu experience. I have been looking at the Havannah Resort near Port Vila, and the Barrier Beach House near Luganville, Santo. Have you stayed in either of these places, or can you recommend any other accommodation?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
194 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Honeymoon Port Vila or Santo

Hi,

If you are happy to pay the price Havannah costs why don't you look at Eratap? Just been there and if I had my time over again that is where I would be happy to spend my honeymoon. Just spent my 50th birthday there.

They have a spa for your massages and the snorkeling just off the beach or wherever you wish to go via their boat is fantastic.

Have fun looking!!

Adelaide
Level Contributor
1,325 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Honeymoon Port Vila or Santo

I have not stayed at The Havannah or Barrier Beach, but have visited the first and stayed next door to the second (Moyyan). Both are in idyllic settings on postcard-perfect beaches and are more luxury style accommodation. Photos don't do justice to the beauty of the beaches. From what I've heard and read, both places have great accommodation , the Havannah being a lot larger than Barrier Beach, which has only a few guests at one time. If they are in your price range, you can't go wrong there.

Level Contributor
4 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Honeymoon Port Vila or Santo

Thanyou for all that info guys! Ive decided that we will stay at Barrier Beach House on Santo but im still undecided on Port Villa.. tossing up between The Havannah and Eratap. I dont know how im going to decide. Maybe a toss of a coin? Thanks again :)

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Honeymoon Port Vila or Santo

We have stayed at Eratap several times and love it, great food, great snorkelling, lovely villas and friendly staff. We have not been to Havannah but I cant imagine it would be better than Eratap

Dunedin
Level Contributor
6 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Honeymoon Port Vila or Santo

Hi, my wife and I had our 2 week honeymoon in Vanuatu, staying on both islands for a week each, on Santo I would definitely recommend the Deco Stop Lodge, fantastic views over Luganville and the food and hospitatlity are second to none, make sure when you are on Santo to visit Oyster island for lunch, (just hit the LPG bottle hanging in tree and they come and get you, no charge) and kayak up to the Blue hole while there. On Efate, we loved staying at Breakas Beach, if you do, request a waterfront unit, hard to beat, with a top restaurant as well, we are going back in August. And don't miss a trip to Hideaway island for lunch or stay a night, very down to earth, plus the underwater PO there, enjoy, R

8. Re: Honeymoon Port Vila or Santo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 June 2015, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Vanuatu