We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Global SIM card

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
23 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Global SIM card

I have a global SIM card & I have to put credit on it when I activate it. I don't expect to make phone calls - just send the odd text & photo & maybe Facebook at times when I have access to Wifi. We will be there for two weeks. How much credit should I put on the card?

Australia
Destination Expert
for Port Vila, Vanuatu
Level Contributor
2,337 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Global SIM card

I would keep it for another country and get a local one which will be much cheaper. You can get one fitted at the airport after Customs with data included for local internet providers. You may use it to book tours, buses and restaurants etc so its worth having.

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
23 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Global SIM card

Thanks for the tip - would I be able to text back home with that? Plus we arrive at 11-30 pm will we have time to make a purchase?

Australia
Destination Expert
for Port Vila, Vanuatu
Level Contributor
2,337 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Global SIM card

Yep text, email, internet etc. They are open for all arrivals.

If you don't want internet just get a 1000vt sim for phone and text.

Just make sure your phone is not on a plan or is unlocked to accept other sim cards.

Or bring an old phone.

Have fun!

Edited: 23 June 2014, 11:14
Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
23 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Global SIM card

Thank you - arriving on July 5 it's 7 degrees & raining here (Canberra) so can't wait.

5. Re: Global SIM card

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 June 2015, 06:17
Get answers to your questions about Vanuatu