We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should we bring car seats for a 3 and 1 year old ?

Auckland, New...
3 posts
Save Topic
Should we bring car seats for a 3 and 1 year old ?

Im travelling to Vanuatu in August with 3 kids under 5 and family, we will be doing day trips, and want to do as much as we can thats realistic with little ones, what's "normal" for travelling with kids, is it better to hire our own car and get a driver and put car seats in the van or do we just hold them? , its our first island holiday with kids so we are very green:-)

Also any suggestions on best water toys or life jackets for under 5s?

Thanks in advance

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
986 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Should we bring car seats for a 3 and 1 year old ?

Our travel around Vila was all in local buses or taxis-basicly all Hiiace vans or similar. We diddn't take a carseat for miss 1.5 and there were never carseats provided.

Auckland, New...
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Should we bring car seats for a 3 and 1 year old ?

Thank you

And Did you find it useful to have a decent pram ?

Thinking of those days where your by the pool and Miss 1.5 wants to sleep, whether she even would!

Port Vila, Vanuatu
Level Contributor
123 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Should we bring car seats for a 3 and 1 year old ?

Def take a pram with you, the heat can be quite a lot when carrying a child,

Am sure you will all have so much fun :-)

Australia
Destination Expert
for Port Vila, Vanuatu
Level Contributor
2,470 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Should we bring car seats for a 3 and 1 year old ?

Car seats …unless you are hiring a rental car for your whole stay I wouldn't bother lugging them with you.

You would miss out on some interaction with locals and spend more time finding places which are best visited with a driver who can also tell you about history, culture etc along the way. Or double pay if you take tours that include transport. The buses just putt around on the (pot holed) roads…no 110km/hr roads! Locals just have their kids on their laps in buses and taxis, no seat belts either, as their trips are not long. Tour buses won't have car seats either.

One of those umbrella style strollers would be handy rather than the full pram (sidewalks aren't that even either!). A backpack carrier would be handy for the baby.

See the Top Questions link top right on this page "How do I get about town" for more info.

Have fun and enjoy the freedom!

Edited: 21 August 2014, 10:30
Auckland, New...
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Should we bring car seats for a 3 and 1 year old ?

Thanks heaps for your detailed response much appreciated , that clears it up for sure😊👍

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
10 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Should we bring car seats for a 3 and 1 year old ?

I'm heading to vila for my 3rd visit, this time with a 3.5yo. I've bought an inflatable booster seat (with optional straps) to use mainly in restaurants, but also on longer bus trips (we're thinking of hiring a minibus for a day). The brand is Bubble Bum, and it comes folded in its own baggie and seems light and easy to carry around. I guess it's about the size of an A4 sheet. It's probably overkill on my part, but it is a bit freaky to go from Aussie car seat paranoia to vila's 'so casual' attitude. I keep reminding myself that the state of the roads and the size of the island means traffic speed is set to 'trundle' most of the time. Hope that helps!

7. Re: Should we bring car seats for a 3 and 1 year old ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 September 2015, 05:15