We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Turtles

Townsville...
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Topic
Turtles

I would like to confirm whether seeing the turtles at Niawe Beach is the same facility/area as Crystal Blue Resort?

I don't want to visit anywhere that doesn't care for the animals properly.

Thanks in advance.

4 replies to this topic
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,272 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Turtles

Where is It?

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
1,084 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Turtles

Vickyvell--IMO you are best taking the Congoola cruise to see the turtles. That is the only facility that looks after turtles.

Australia
Destination Expert
for Port Vila, Vanuatu
Level Contributor
2,522 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Turtles

Yes Coongoola is the only sanctuary. The others capture wild turtles and keep them confined to interact with tourists and don't release or rehabilitate them.

Tranquility (on Moso Island where the Coongoola is based) raises the juveniles for a year and releases them so they have a greater chance of survival than in the wild. You can sponsor one and release it yourself.

Have fun!

1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Turtles

I didn't find this thread until we were already booked to go. I saw one of the people who worked there pulling aggressively at a turtles flipper and even pressed his whole body weight onto the turtle! It was distressing to watch. Do not go to Niawe Beach.

Reply to: Turtles
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Port Vila
Recent Conversations