We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

river tour and village

Which Port Vila hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ocean Grove...
Level Contributor
369 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
river tour and village

I am wondering if anyone knows if you can do a river tour and visit and village or something with out doing a full round island trip. I would like to see some inland and forrest and have heard about the Epule river trek but seems you can only do it with a big round island tour.

We are 2 Adults and 2 children 6 and 4.

Thank you

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Vanuatu, Port Vila, Espiritu Santo
Level Contributor
3,862 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: river tour and village

Hi Kat,

On our recent trip we took a party of 12 or so (including 2 little boys) on the "Beach BBQ" trip with Namba 1 Tours. It cost about $27 group discount price and we renamed it the "jungle university" tour because it was all about the growing of food and medicine, fishing with hermit crab, visiting jungle caves, coconut tree climbing and stuff like that. It was a half day trip. Namba 1 Tours had a little office hut set up near the Mama's Market downtown. The tour guide is Alec. All those who went with us said it was the highlight of their week.

Another trip that I found which I'd certainly like to try next time is the "Port Vila 3 in One combination Tour" with Horizon Tours. It is 3,500vatu per person (about $40) and combines a vila discovery tour, kaljarel villij tour and turtle, shark and fish feeding. It operates on Tues, Thurs and Sat. Departs at 9am returning at 12.45 or departs at 2pm returning at 5.45.

Their office number is 25053 Mob 40313

Hope this helps.

J

Brisbane
Level Contributor
33 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: river tour and village

Hi

I know you don't want to do the round the island tour, but it is really worth it. We did it with a 2.5 year old and 6year old. The driver was really friendly, stopped for the kids all the timing showing them the huge crabs on the roads. It is a long day though. The highlight was going up the river on a traditional canoe and seeing tribal dancing we even tried their food.

It really is worth concidering, we did it with adventures in paradise.

Hope this helps to some degree

Ocean Grove...
Level Contributor
369 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: river tour and village

I had thought I would do a round island tour with the kids, then discovered the Lelepa island tour and that sounds fantastic. Just wan't sure if I needed to do both. I was actually looking at the adventures in paridice one as it is the one that goes up the river.

Thanks for your help. Have written all that down.

Kat

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,862 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: river tour and village

Hi again Kat,

We did the Adventures in Paradise Round Island adventure including the river trip to the village, as well as the Lelepa Island Tour.

The Lelepa Tour goes around past Mele and Klems hill then onto Havannah Harbour. The little banana boats then take you over to Lelepa Island.

The Round Island tour continues on from Havannah Harbour and, obviously right around the perimeter road.

They both take about the same duration of time.

Hope this helps.

J

Ocean Grove...
Level Contributor
369 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: river tour and village

Thank you J, just wondering if you think we should also do the round island (with the kids). We have 8 or 9 days in Vila and will do the cascades and semi sub and possible hideaway island. Just wanted to spend a few days relaxing at the resort also (Le Lagon). I'm sure once I am there I will get a feel for the place can decide then. Thanks for the help I think you have replied to a few of my questions.

Kat

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,862 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: river tour and village

Hi Kat,

If you are going to do one of the full day tours, you probably don't need to do two in the week you are there or it will seem too short on time.

The snorkelling at Hideaway is quite nice and snorkelling is more or less the highlight of most tours. Although the round island is more about the village visit. We just had a bit of a swim and snorkel at the beach in the afternoon. Of course on different tours there are turtles and things that are also a buzz but your week will go very quickly.

You can spend a long time at the cascades to really enjoy it. Take snacks.

Cheers,

Jen

7. Re: river tour and village

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 September 2009, 18:17