We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxi's

Hervey Bay
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Taxi's

Beware of the rogue Taxi operators around Port Villa ,we have recently returned from a P&O Cruise & were ripped off . We wanted to do our own Tour & we were quoted $ 10.00 per person for a group of 6 = $60 Aust when we finished the Tour the driver changed his rate to $60 per hour for 4 hours which meant a fee of $240 Aust , after much argument we had to settle on a price of $200 as we were under threat by these so called friendly people we were hugely out numbered. P&O put out a warning in it's newsletter so we were aware, talking to a ex-pat Aussie she said that it was happening all the time & had made the local paper many times. I am going back to Port Vila in April for a 4 day visit & I will not be organising the local taxi's , if the trip had not been booked I would cancel & go somewhere else. This was not an isolated event similar stories were told back on board , again beware of the rip off Taxi drivers

VANUATRUTH
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taxi's

Yes thats the truth about Vanuatu Taxi services and not only that if you open your eyes carefully theres more to that. One morning I was joking to port vila town and was 5:00am in the morning. On my way I saw an tourist lady coming back from a night club called trader vics was screaming while 6 Vanuatu locals from the island of Tanna are chasing her. I was from Vanuatu so the only way she will survive is if I talk out of it. I stopped and tell her to stand behind me while negotiate but they were really drunk that they want something for pleasure. One guy pulled a knife at me and I told him go a head do it ... kill me but then he got scared and run off because a car was driving by. I was safe and so was the tourist but and advise!!!! Every people in Vanuatu will say good things about their island leaving out the bad side of it!!! when you are in Vanuatu you need to have a private security with you or a gun.. crime rate is so so hight and government is still denying it because its corrupted.

Cheers,

Man Vanuatu

Morrinsville N.Z.
Level Contributor
252 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taxi's

We were in Villa for 11 days and we found the taxis excellent. We were careful in that we only selected ones that were modern and well kept.

When we found a good one we arranged for the driver to pick us up for other trips and then he also took us to the ariport the morning we left.

Talking to the locals- some do put the prices up when the cruise ships are in. We got the impression that cruise ships are not liked in Villa because of the short duration of their visits.

When you go back you will be fine as all the taxis charge the same per person so you can't get ripped off. 100 vatu for around town and 200 vatu for further out like Hideaway and the Cascades.

Arrange your tours through a proper tour operator and you will have an enjoyable time.

We found the people very warm and welcoming.

VANUATRUTH
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taxi's

Re miggyeva,

Thats good way of misleading tourist you had their telling others that taxi cost 100vatu round town and 200 outside town. Okay! thats only for Buses not Taxi's.

In Vanuatu Taxis pay to locals 500 vatu around the town and 1500 outside. where as tourist will be more and some drivers love ripping off their clients especially when you a tourist.

People will be always warm here because you are white and different from us locals. Its our custom to greet and it dose not mean that we are happy but it means Hello expression. Most locals their conman which take you around then ask you for money nor provide you prostitutes.

Thats What you call paradise!!

Man Vanuatu

Morrinsville N.Z.
Level Contributor
252 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taxi's

Sorry that was my mistake. I did mean buses not taxis are 100 vatu around town.

Read bus instead of taxi in what I said.

I wouldn't bother with taxis. The buses are excellent, regular to most places and easy to flag down where ever you are.

The biggest difference apart from the price is that the taxi will take you straight to your distination as you have hired them for your transport. The buses will drop others off along the way and may take slight detours to do that but you get to see some sights you wouldn't otherwise see.

If the bus is not going your way the driver will say no he can't take you when you tell him where you want to go. We only had that happen once.

Morrinsville N.Z.
Level Contributor
252 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Taxi's

Sorry that was my mistake. I did mean buses not taxis are 100 vatu around town.

Read bus instead of taxi in what I said.

I wouldn't bother with taxis. The buses are excellent, regular to most places and easy to flag down where ever you are.

The biggest difference apart from the price is that the taxi will take you straight to your distination as you have hired them for your transport. The buses will drop others off along the way and may take slight detours to do that but you get to see some sights you wouldn't otherwise see.

If the bus is not going your way the driver will say no he can't take you when you tell him where you want to go. We only had that happen once. You just flag hail another bus down.

6. Re: Taxi's

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 September 2009, 21:17
Get answers to your questions about Port Vila