We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

In Vila For One Day

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
53 posts
1 review
Save Topic
In Vila For One Day

Hi folks. We will have one day in Vila as part of our cruise in July, and were wondering what to do with our time. We are keen on getting out to either Iririki Resort or Erakor Resort. Does anyone know whether these resorts let day trippers onto their island? Which resort would be better to go to for snorkelling? Would we be able to buy lunch at these resorts? Any tips regarding what to do with our time would be much appreciated.

Real Ni-Van Adventures
City Tours, Cultural Tours, Day Trips, Scuba & Snorkeling, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Eleanore Lagoon Cruise
Cultural Tours, Scuba & Snorkeling, Boat Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
John's Authentic Island Tours
Scuba & Snorkeling, Cultural Tours, Day Trips
Evergreen Tours Vanuatu
Sightseeing Tours, Scuba & Snorkeling, Cultural Tours, Day Trips
Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Vanuatu, Port Vila, Espiritu Santo
Level Contributor
3,883 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: In Vila For One Day

Hi Ruby,

If you are going to be in Port Vila on Sunday you may as well not bother heading into town as almost everything is shut.

You can go to ERakor Island. Ask your bus driver to take you to the jetty and grab the free ferry to the island. It is good manners to enjoy your lunch at Roxy's overwater cafe there as a thankyou for their hospitality in letting you enjoy their island for the day.

Otherwise, head to the cascades. They are good regardless of the day of the week. In Vila they often call the cascades the "waterfall". Stop of in town and grab a snack to take with you as there are no food stops at the cascades. You could go to Hideaway Island for a bit of snorkelling and grab lunch there. It is near the cascades but you'd need to be quite fit to walk from one to the other. There will be buses aplenty on the day the cruise ship comes in.

Ciao,

J

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
53 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: In Vila For One Day

Hi J

Thanks for much for your reply. You've given us some good options for the day we are at Vila. Quite interested in the Cascades trip. Would this take a whole day, do you think, or could we do it in half a day, and spend the other half on Erakor or Iririki?

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Vanuatu, Port Vila, Espiritu Santo
Level Contributor
3,883 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: In Vila For One Day

Hi Ruby,

You could certainly "do" the cascades in half a day. Hideaway is a short bus ride or longish walk away. In between is the Secret garden.

Erakor Lagoon is up past the shipping wharf in the other direction to the cascades but is well worth a visit on a beautiful sunny day.

Cheers,

Jen

VPS
Leigh-on Sea...
Level Contributor
1,559 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: In Vila For One Day

We lived in Port Vila for a year as VSO voulunteers and when the cruise ships come in it's like a cattle market. Prices double and all the tat tourist shops open. Have a quick look around though it is an interesting town. The waterfalls are lovely and on your return to town you could walk over the hill to the lagoon on the other side as an alternative to Iririki. Lunch at Rossi's on the harbour would also be nice or a drink and outdoor bbq'd lobster at the yacht club.

Have a great time it's a fabulous place.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
53 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: In Vila For One Day

Thanks both of you for your input. A question about duty free shopping. In usual fashion, we would like to buy some duty free alcohol. This can be done through DFS Galleria in auckland. However, a few weeks ago I was reading a post that said you can buy duty free products in Vila and that it was cheaper than anywhere else. Do you have any idea whether we would be able to purchase duty free alcohol in Vila ON A SUNDAY? As P&O don't allow guests to consume duty free alcohol on the ship, I guess it would be packaged up and taken to the ship for our collection on disembarkation in Auckland. It might be all too much of a hassle, considering we only have one day in Vila, and would like to check out the Cascades and a resort in that time.

Mentioned in this post
Auckland
Auckland
North Island, New Zealand
VPS
Leigh-on Sea...
Level Contributor
1,559 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: In Vila For One Day

Hi Ruby

We were on the QM2 in January and took a bottle of gin on board and put it in our fridge to use. We even ordered room service to supply tonic and ice frequently. Nobody asked us on embarkation and our room maid didn't say anything. Our hand luggage was even x rayed on embarkation which would obviously show a bottle inside. On returning to the ship from daytrips our luggage was xrayed each time and I was not aware of anyone being challenged at any port. P&O may be different but I think the ships staff have better things to do. Yes the duty free prices are good in Vila but if you are worried about it I think the difference in price isn't worth the hassle, just buy on board.

Caloundra, Australia
Level Contributor
43 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: In Vila For One Day

Hi Ruby

Keep in mind if you go to Iririki they will charge you 1500 vatu each to use the island. You can buy lunch there and swim in their pool. If you have children, they are limited to where they can go on Iririki. I stayed there for a week this month. I didnt go to Erakor so that would be worth investigating. I did the Waterfalls. You must do this rather than sit around Port Vila. We hired a bus. We paid 5000 vatu and the driver took us there walked with us through the falls. We stayed 2 hours then he drove us back. It also costs 1500 vatu to enter the falls. I know I would rather spend the 1500 to go to the falls than 1500 to go to Iririki.

I did read in a brochure that when the cruise ships come in on a Sunday the shops do open. Can't guarantee this though.

Hope this helps.

VPS
Leigh-on Sea...
Level Contributor
1,559 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: In Vila For One Day

The shops do open and they also set up extra market stalls along the roads just for the tourists but a lot of it is tat and twice the price of normal.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
53 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: In Vila For One Day

Thanks to you all for your replies with very useful information. It certainly sounds like we have plenty of options for our day in Vila!

10. Re: In Vila For One Day

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 September 2009, 13:18