We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How quiet is Easter in Port Vila?

Sydney
6 posts
Save Topic
How quiet is Easter in Port Vila?

Hi all,

We arrive ~7pm on Easter monday into Port Vila (first-timers), and wanted to confirm what will be open at that time. That is, is it safe to assume that there will be buses/taxis & currency exchange at the airport open ? What about restaurants, or at least a takeaway near Poppy's ?

No doubt I'll have lot's of questions over the next month or so, so bear with me !

many thanks in advance to all replys.

BH

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Vanuatu, Port Vila, Espiritu Santo
Level Contributor
3,877 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How quiet is Easter in Port Vila?

Hello batteryhen,

You'll have no trouble with taxis and buses. The airport currency exchange is likely to be open but just in case change about $50 just so you don't have to worry about it on the way over.

In Vila the 7 / 11 will probably be open, if not Goodies the next morning.

If you just grab a bus and head downtown you'll find out what is open for food. I expect The Waterfront would be a good start. A lovely spot right on the water.

The closest thing to Poppy's would probably be Le Meridien where you'd certainly be able to get a feed at either the restaurant or lobby bar.

At least you won't starve. You can exchange money at the resorts as well but Goodies the next day would be what I'd do.

Jen

gold coast australia
Level Contributor
70 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How quiet is Easter in Port Vila?

HI

Poppies has nice little snack bar/cafe. Makes fine steak sandwiches and banana pancakes - very helpful staff. They also stock the essentials like Milk, bread, and butter. There is a Chinese? store not far up from Poppies (watch the climb) where we used to buy fresh rolls, fruit etc and I would expect them to be open almost 24/7.

Poppies is lovely, Im sure that you will enjoy your holiday.

Horrie

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: How quiet is Easter in Port Vila?

Hi All,

We will be arriving for our first trip to Vanuatu a little earlier than batteryhen, on the Thursday before Good Friday. Can anyone tell us whether shops and restaurants will be open over the Easter long weekend? Will tours be running or will be forced to lay back and relax?!

Thanks in advance,

Raskett

Sydney
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: How quiet is Easter in Port Vila?

Many thanks Jen.

We will have two over-excited children with us, that probably won't be interested in eating anyhow, but its nice to have some options !

Lots more questions, but I'll start a new thread.

BH

Echuca, Australia
Level Contributor
744 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How quiet is Easter in Port Vila?

Hey BH this is a good point as it just occured to me we are there over Easter as well! Does anyone know if toursw etc will still operate over the Easter break?? Is it school hols in Vanuatu? I guess if everything is a non-event over Easter we will just actually have to relax/swim/drink and snorkel - now that sounds like a plan to me!!! LOL

6. Re: How quiet is Easter in Port Vila?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 September 2009, 05:29