We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Withdrawing money from ATMs

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
112 posts
83 reviews
Save Topic
Withdrawing money from ATMs

Leaving for Vanuatu in just over 3 weeks and have been reading a bit about the ATMs in Port Vila and see that there is an ANZ and a Westpac bank and ATMs. I bank with NAB. Can I use my NAB ATM card to withdraw money from my savings account using the ANZ or Westpac ATMs? I've been reading about how linked credit cards are not usable and am a little concerned about it. Many thanks. Regards.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
564 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Withdrawing money from ATMs

You'll be able to use a NAB debit card in the ATMs in Port Vila. However, you're correct - you can't access your savings or cheque account if it's linked on a credit card.

Check the back of your card. You should be fine if it's a debit-only card and you see the Cirrus/Maestro logo on the back of it.

If you've only got one card that acts as a credit card with linked savings/cheque accounts, just go to your local NAB and ask them to send you a debit-only card ASAP.

Enjoy your trip! :)

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Vanuatu, Port Vila, Espiritu Santo
Level Contributor
3,873 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Withdrawing money from ATMs

You can also take travellers cheques to put your mind at ease.

You will need cash in vatu as soon as you land, unless you have airport transfers included in your booking.

If you don't have airport transfers, go to the National Bank of Vanuatu desk at the Bauerfield Airport and exchange about $50AUS. That should be enough to get you to any resort in or near Vila.

You can use the change to get you back into town to exchange some more at Goodies.

You may not want to take much cash but you will get the best value from your money if you take aussie cash to Goodies and exchange it for vatu.

The banks are not too bad, heaps better than money exchange in Aus.

The easiest thing is sometimes just to open an account with Westpac or ANZ before you go. Then you won't have any issues.

It is important to cover yourself with enough cash and access to other monies, because if you can't access your dough from Vila you are a bit stuck.

Travellers cheques, cash and an account with Westpac or ANZ are your sure bets.

Hope this helps,

Jen

Port Lincoln
Level Contributor
173 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Withdrawing money from ATMs

Has anyone used the Virgin money exchange? Thanks :)

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
112 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Withdrawing money from ATMs

Hi there -- thanks for your quick reply :). I looked at my ATM card and it only has a symbol with the word PLUS and an EFTPOS symbol. There isn't a Maestro symbol. I've used this card in Europe and Asia/Pacific. Do you think it's still okay? Perhaps I should check with my bank? I just hate calling them, it takes so long!!! lol. Many thanks for your help.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
112 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Withdrawing money from ATMs

Thanks for your help. We'll take your advice and make sure we have plenty of cash. I assume we can use our credit card at the resort and restaurants? I've heard too that some places actually take Australia dollars anyway - have you heard that? Well, bye for now and thanks again :).

Wellington, NZ
Destination Expert
for Wellington
Level Contributor
2,330 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Withdrawing money from ATMs

There's no reason why your card won't work. From memory, "Plus" the interbank network operated by Visa, whereas "Maestro" is Mastercard. Or it could be the other way around. Our EFTPOS card is "Plus" - we've been able to withdraw money fine in Vanuatu. Just be strategic about withdrawing money - I don't know about your bank, but ours charges a hefty overseas ATM fee so we withdraw as much as we are comfortable carrying around. The great thing about ATMs is that they are open all hours, so are much more convenient than travellers cheques (which are rapidly approaching their use-by dates anyway).

WA
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Withdrawing money from ATMs

I also have the same problem, I have a NAB visa debit card, and would assume I could withdraw money from my savings account, as it's not a proper visa card, it's still using my own money. Is this the same as your NAB debit card? I think I might go to the bank today and ask them about it.

Hayman Island...
Level Contributor
10 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Withdrawing money from ATMs

Hi

Yes most of the restaurants, tour operators etc will take both aussie dollars and/or credit cards but be aware, you will get a lesser exchange rate than you would if you change your aussie dollars at Goodies and for credit cards, the bank charge is passed on to you (this ranges from 3% to 5% of the total bill).

One of our recent visitors bought a Travelex cash card with them which worked well for her. I don't know too much about them but it might be worth a look at their website for details -

http://www.cashpassport.com/1/en/au/

If you do bring aussie dollars to change over here, make sure that you use the safe in your hotel room.

Cheers

Susie

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
112 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Withdrawing money from ATMs

Thanks for the info. We really appreciate your help. Only 17 days to go. Hope the weather holds :). Thanks again!!

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Vanuatu, Port Vila, Espiritu Santo
Level Contributor
3,873 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Withdrawing money from ATMs

Hi Lovingagoodholiday,

Well the weather is cloudy right now but it could blow itself out in a few days of rain and be beautiful by the time you get there. October is officially the best month for weather. Of course that statement is bound to invite comments of disagreement, so hopefully I can swerve to miss a few by saying that whatever the weather I offer you best wishes for a fabulous time.

By the way, just for the record, travellers cheques actually enjoy a higher rate of exchange at goodies than anything else. Although cash still proves to be the easiest overall.

Jen